Reefer Addict's Reef

addict

Well... I'd have to notch the 4x4's, which is a long and tedious job without a dado blade for my table saw. Plus 2x4's are about $2.50 apiece here and 4x4's are about $7.
So there is a method to my madness. ;)

TDEVIL

wow, lots of planing

cant wait to see the finished product, and that fan sounds cool, let me know how much noise there is, i have been thinking about using one of those squirrel-cages for a while, they move a lot of air

TD

addict

I've been doing some listening tests with the squirrel-cage and it's just about the same dB as an Axial fan, yet without the high-pitched whine that the Axial fan makes (and annoys the heck out of me).
I've also put a rheostat inline with the fan so I can adjust the speed of the motor to find the 'sweet spot' where it pushes a lot of air with a minimum of noise.
The key with the squirrel-cage fans (and pretty much the Axials as well) is to isolate them from the cabinet you're attaching them to with some sort of suspension material, like grommets or weatherstripping. This prevents the 'humming' noise from the vibration of the fan.
The fan box I'm workin on has rubber grommets for feet and the fan is mounted with grommets and weatherstripping... all you really hear is the rush of air coming out, which should be suppressed somewhat by the canopy on one side, and the vent hose on the other.
Maybe I can make a recording of it once I get it finished and I'll post an .mp3 file of the noise level.

okay...just checking.
You and my wife would get along great. :D

Maxx

You and my wife would get along great
Ouch!!!
I knew I should have posted that up a different way....I didnt mean to sound like your dad....sigh...
Sorry man.
Nick

addict

Ah, don't worry about it...
I was also trying to be funny... didn't want you to think I took offense or anything.
I'm about the most easy-going guy I know (sometimes to a fault.) :)
I'll throw a little karma your way.

addict

Well, I've been doing a little bit more work on the project, and I've pretty much finished the fan for the canopy. Rather than use an axial fan, I decided to use a squirrel-cage... a 400cfm monster compared to the little 110cfm axial I was considering using.

359sideview.jpg

I have it wired through a rheostat so that I can adjust the speed of the motor, and cut down the amount of airflow (this thing pushes huge amounts of air), plus it lets me cut down on some of the remaining noise. It runs about the same dB as an axial to my ears, without the 'whine' produced by them (more of a low drone).
Here's a shot of the bottom showing the fan...

359bottom.jpg

at full power this thing will suck in air from 2 feet below it (using the cigarette test)... I'll have to watch out for jumping fish. :D

I'm looking forward to getting started on the stand. I went and picked up most of the parts I need yesterday and will start working on it bit by bit here in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
WOW that fan is bigger than my kitchen hood fan!David nice job and very good project .I can see you really know what you are doing.I like your design of your sump.
VINA

addict

Thanks everyone.
There is a bit more that I wanted to add. The fan is going to sit on top of a hole in the canopy where it'll do it's thing. I'll have it ducted through a drier hose and vented out an adjacent window. I'll be cooling about 830w of lighting, so I want to make sure to bleed off as much heat as I can, and help keep our house cooler during the summer (it gets raging hot here... can have several days of 100+ in a row) and our house isn't air conditioned very well (so ambient is in the high-80's).
I also just noticed the little bulge in the DIY molding on the right side of the first picture... looks like I'm not as done as I thought... time to break out the sandpaper. :D

I appreciate the support... thanks again.

Last edited:

sw_addicted

holly @#$% thats a huge fan you better hope the power company doesn't sena power spike your way or your fishy water will end up out that window. Just kidding that looks awesome can't wait to see its stand and canopy. Oh yeah I like cherry too!

David

I must concur, that is angry beast of a fan. Suspiciously looks like a high performance air filter for a car... Hmmmmm. :p

Gee, I wish I had this much planning ability in me.... All I've got at the moment is a good memory and high hopes. Nice work, guy, this much preperation you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

addict

Yeah, I think that fan is going to work great... plus I'll be able to adjust my evap rate since I plan to drip Kalk as top-off.
Well, I've been going to town and got the structural part of the stand mostly together.

359stand1.jpg

I still need to lag bolt the whole structure together, but it's coming along quickly.

While I was at it I also took a photo of my new (to me) chiller... a Custom SeaLife 1/4Hp... this thing works great and gets cold fast... I scored it for about half of retail on ebay.

359chiller.jpg

I'm so looking forward to not having to stick frozen water bottles in the sump to cool the tank down this summer (though it's doubtful it would be as effective in the 120 as it was in the 55).
I'll post more pics as I take them...

All I've got at the moment is a good memory and high hopes.
then you're 3/4 of the way there. :) (the other 1/4 is actually doing it.)

And I'm not as prepared as I look... I just fake it pretty good. ;)

sw_addicted

Allright I love updates! Thats looking real square and sturdy are you panning on laying 2x4's inside the bottom to prevent twist? I see what you were saying with the 2x4's that is a great way to build you should move down here we could build decks year round. (just kidding I hate decks) Looks great can't wait for next update!