Reef Sanctuary Video

lbiminiblue

Hey guys, I have an idea; what if we made a video for RS, kind of like an advertisement to go on Youtube. We could attract more members. The video could feature clips and pictures of our own members' tanks. What do you guys think?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hummm, don't know :ponder2:
Do you think there might be a HUGE increase in SPAMMERS? :spam:
We have WAY MORE lurkers than we do members already. We need to get some of the lurkers to POST when they are here visiting. Some people are bashful :ashamed: (not me :LOL:)

lbiminiblue

Hummm, don't know :ponder2:
Do you think there might be a HUGE increase in SPAMMERS? :spam:
We have WAY MORE lurkers than we do members already. We need to get some of the lurkers to POST when they are here visiting. Some people are bashful :ashamed: (not me :LOL:)

Well, it all depends on who sees the videos. I don't know much about spammers, but how many will be looking up "Reef aquarium forum videos" or stuff like that? I didn't mean pay for ad status on youtube, just upload it to youtube. I think there's an equally high chance a spammer will find the forum as there is they would find the video.

lbiminiblue

If you guys want it, I could put it together I have some spare time and have learned a few tricks from a friend who loves that kind of video editing stuff. Let me know.

Sounds like a good idea. But... be wary of wanting increase the user base too much and know why you want more members. There are already plenty of very active forums as we all know. Where RS is a step ahead is its level of civility and helpfulness. I've seen all sorts of crude, rude and down right bullying behavior on other reefing and marine forums, I can't say I've seen that on RS yet. I think that's what attracts more like minded enthusiasts the most and I have no idea how one would advertise that culture. Not sure where I was going with this lol... hopefully it made sense on some level. :wave:

lbiminiblue

Sounds like a good idea. But... be wary of wanting increase the user base too much and know why you want more members. There are already plenty of very active forums as we all know. Where RS is a step ahead is its level of civility and helpfulness. I've seen all sorts of crude, rude and down right bullying behavior on other reefing and marine forums, I can't say I've seen that on RS yet. I think that's what attracts more like minded enthusiasts the most and I have no idea how one would advertise that culture. Not sure where I was going with this lol... hopefully it made sense on some level. :wave:

I think I did understand. But with more mods, I think you could handle more users.

kyle4201

I welcome all newcomers (I was one not to long ago),, but Im happy with all my reef friends as is. I dont want a bunch of pushy know it alls posting dumb stuff like all the other sites. JMO. Love you guys. :)
:hug1:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
From my experience so far from a marketing standpoint, the majority of members find us via Google searches for information. When we answer questions about LED lighting, tank crashes, ID's for "what the heck is this thing in my tank?!?!?!," that's when we attract members.

I don't know if you've noticed, but there are new members saying "hi" in the Meet and Greet forum every day! In the past few weeks, we are averaging about 25% more people online (during the peak hours) than before (users online in the mid 400's to now in the mid 500's on a daily basis). Trust me, we're monitoring and watching the numbers. Too fast a growth, and it can become overwhelming. I would say the pacing is really good right now.

Random trivia info: Did you know that nanoreefing4fun has personally welcomed every single new member to the site? That's amazing!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
...I've seen all sorts of crude, rude and down right bullying behavior on other reefing and marine forums, I can't say I've seen that on RS yet. I think that's what attracts more like minded enthusiasts the most and I have no idea how one would advertise that culture.

You've just described my job, in a sense. I'm cultivating our image on Facebook and Twitter. I receive a lot of PM's via FB that people are surprised that they'll post a question and have it answered in less than 24 hours (I'm way too connected, I know). They're happy about the content posted yes, but many of our FB fans have stated that their favorite part of the day is when the random RS thread pops up at 8pm. We had one recently about how to handle aiptasia and there were over 20+ responses in a complete debate on the topic. Too cool! That audience then realizes they can have more of that experience when they come to the forums. Hence, more lurkers. They're converting to members, no worries there. I notice similar names from FB popping up on RS. It's cool to witness!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
AWESOME for Glenn!! He has been a nanoreefing4fun HERO to me from my very 1st post :D
L:heart:VE how he makes new posters feel WELCOME here. YAY GLENN!! :geekin:

lbiminiblue

Oh and Diana, I still have no idea how you screamed past me in post count. A good 1000 more than I do! And yes, I know about Glenn. I've come to despise that little "welcome" fish more than anything else XD

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh and Diana, I still have no idea how you screamed past me in post count. A good 1000 more than I do! And yes, I know about Glenn. I've come to despise that little "welcome" fish more than anything else XD
I probably talk TOO MUCH :LOL: ...to know so little, and post so much, it must have been asking more ??? :yup:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
While I won't comment on the video (don't think I'm qualified to!) I'll say that the biggest thing about reef sanctuary that attracts and KEEPS its members is its reputation, and that is thanks to everyone who posts and contributes to the community. Through informative responses, open discussion and the freedom/comfort to post any and all questions, RS continues to be one of the best reefing communities out there. As Maya said, there is a lot that goes on to monitor everything and I cannot say enough about Travis and his dedication to keeping RS the way it was intended to be, a "sanctuary" :) :bow: