Reef Safe!!!?????

when web sites say that the fish is reef safe but with caution and picks at corals,does this mean that the fish picks at it non stop till its dead or just pisses it off once and a while? what do u think?

thanks

DaveK

If depends on a lot of factors. It often comes down to the individual fish. Even within the exact same species, you will find some to never cause a problem, others start eating and damaging your corals on day 1. Still others might start out good and turn bad on you.

Also, some fish might be ol with SPS, but will eat soft corals, and so on and so on.

If you are going to get a "with caution" fish, always have a plan for it in case things don't work out for it in the original tank.

Varga

I think online retailers are not the best judges of fish behavior. I saw one site say copperband is safe, fox face is unsafe, Naso unsafe, mandarin easy to keep, cleaner wrasse easy to keep, etc. All of the above could be right about 10% of the time.

I would just start threads with the names of the fish and folks on RS usually have the correct answer :)

Reddog170

Why ant we start a thread on the fish and "average" behavior? Dont think it would be that hard? It could be done like the hitchhikers guide. What ya think? You up for it?

Jeremy0322

I think that is a great idea reddog. That way people could put actual min tank sizes and specific lighting requirements so we dont see tangs in 10 gallon tanks or anemones under shop lights anymore.lol Ill help out the best that I can!

michael_cb_125

That is a great idea. But, we need to focus on each species for a while. And remember there will be dozens of different opinions for each subject. For example, if we are talking about how anemones need very bright light, there will be that one person who will chime in and say that they have their nem under PCs and it is doing great.
So we need to do a general guide (what is the case 90% of the time) then if people want to chime in they can, but we need to be sure the info is seperated, so we dont confuse newbies.
~Michael

Stacef

Great point Michael, I also get nervous that a newbie will read it and say "that person did it, so can I" and then a month later is whining that their puffer ate their CUC.

michael_cb_125

Another point that needs to be emphasized is that the experience level of the aquarist plays a big role in what can/cannot be kept in a reef tank.
~Michael

michael_cb_125

Yep!!!

I have a bellus in my tank with my Regal Angel. IMO the genicanthus angels get along well with almost all other angels. Since their body shape and feeding /swimming habits are so different, other angels often do not see them as a threat or competition.
~Michael

michael_cb_125

"do they get alolng with each other to?" Who??

In my tank I currently have a Regal Angel, Potters Angel, Bellus Angel, and a Mitratus Butterfly. I actually just gave my Flame Angel to Snelly40 the other day to make room for the new little bellus. All of my fish get along great. I rarely if ever have any signs of aggression. If I do, it is just my Regal letting the Potters know that she is, indeed larger than he is. But I have only seen this maybe 4 or 5 time. When I had the flame, she and the potters were never more than a few inches apart. There was never any aggression between the two. Now that I have the bellus angel, the Regal and the potters are always side by side. And the Bellus hangs with the mitratus. It is so cool to watch them swim in unison.

Once my new tank is setup (the first week in Jan) I will Move the Mitratus, and potters over to it. And in addition to these to fish I will be adding three more angels (one large and two dwarf) and maybe two more Butterflies.
~Michael

what size is your new tank gonna be? i hoping to do same thing angels and butterflys inthe same tank. my bad i ment the bellus with other bellus.