HELP! Reef Oct 110 Int problems

Hello guys and gals. I have been out of reefing for about 25 years and decided to get back into it. I have a new 90 gal that I will be doing a mixed reef with. I got a 40 L for my sump. In the sump I put a brand new Reef Oct 110 Int. I put it (per manufactures recommendations) at 7.5 inches water depth. I opened the valve all the way up. It has been running for 3 days now. The problem is it just swamps the collection cup. I figured 3 days would be plenty of time to see some improvement but alas, not to be. Yes I made sure I didn't turn the valve in the wrong direction (CCW for open CW for close). No I didn't give it a vinegar bath. I do not have a hose on the outlet.
Any ideas?

Lee

Scottwolver

I would just close the valve untill the water level is such that you get a good foam without flooding the cup. May take awhile to find the right valve position but you should be able to as long as the water level isn't bouncing all over the place. Just a thought at least!

pablomay28

if I close the valve more water runs to the cup.

Open the valve to bring the level down. A good starting point is to remkve the cup an open the valve untill the bubbles stop where the collectio cup sits. When you put the cup back on the bubbles will rise and the adjustment (wet or dry) will be up to you. I have the same skimmer and i love it. You can see some vids on youtube

pablomay28

Im having a hard time posting pics from my phone. You need to open the gate valve by turning to the on position till you get the desired water level

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Here hoping you get the skimmer sorted !

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I don't know the exact "ins & outs" of that skimmer but....thought I add my 2cents on the subject of NEW SKIMMERS.
I have never had a new skimmer that didn't do the "clean water overflow" for the first few weeks of use. I was just told that skimmers have a "initial break-in time" before they skimmed like they were supposed to.
Both of the ones I have had since starting my currant tank took longer than a few weeks to get tuned in. But they worked good afterwards.
I wouldn't do without a skimmer but they sure are a pain until they start working right. o_O

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I had this same issue when I first installed my Vertex Omega 150. I had to play with the water level and go against the manufacturer's recommended water depth. I went to 6 inches and never had any more problems.

pablomay28

Pablomay thanks for the response. Thats the problem I am having. Even when I open it all the way up and remove the cup it is "ejecting" large amounts of wet very wet foam from the neck where the collection cup sits. If I put the cup on it fills up in seconds. How deep in the water does your skimmer sit?

I have mine in 7 1/2 inches of water. Turn the red knob on the skimmer counter clockwise to bring the bubble column down it should not be overflowing.

I have mine in 7 1/2 inches of water. Turn the red knob on the skimmer counter clockwise to bring the bubble column down it should not be overflowing.
I have it all the way CCW and it still over flows. That is how I new something isn't right. It does not make sense.

pablomay28

something in ur water is making the skimmer go crazy. I put my skimmer in my sump out of the box and it started skimming within a few hours. Have you used any additives in the water?