Reef Fish Quiz

BoomerD

To quote the quiz program:

Answers...

You Scored 15 out of 15

This gives you a grade of A+. WOW! You aced it. You're a pro.

Shaaa...AS IF...

addict

Well... 14 of 15 here... I missed number two.

Ah well, I guess an A is just as good as an A+ (you overachiever BoomerD! :D ).

BoomerD

Dude, read my signature! If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin...I took this same test about 2 months ago on a different site! Only missed one of the parrotfishes that time, but still an improvement.:D :D :D

Witfull

Answers...

You Scored 15 out of 15

Question 1 - Correct.

Question 2 - Correct.

Question 3 - Correct.

Question 4 - Correct.

Question 5 - Correct.

Question 6 - Correct.

Question 7 - Correct.

Question 8 - Correct.

Question 9 - Correct.

Question 10 - Correct.

Question 11 - Correct.

Question 12 - Correct.

Question 13 - Correct.

Question 14 - Correct.

Question 15 - Correct.

NEXT>>>:D

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Answers...

You Scored 15 out of 15

On the first try, thank you very much:D

Last edited:

EdgeKrusher

You Scored 13 out of 15

This gives you a grade of B+. Very Good! You only missed a few

I feel so special, my friend would laugh at me. LOL I'm laughing at myself cuz I'm such a fish fiend. LOL

reefjitsu

I'm sorry,but if you missed one you weren't trying very hard (newbies excluded). I didn't know what half the fish were but I still got 15/15, because of the multiple choice format. Multiple choice just makes it too easy. All of the fish in that quiz have a name that describes the most obvious features of the fish. Hmm, I know that is a butterfly fish but I don't know what kind, but it has two spots and one of the answers is two spot butterfly, duh, it must be a two spot butterfly. Every answer on that quiz can easily be deduced in such a way. Now take away the multiple guess format then you might have a decent quiz.

fugazi

12 out of 15 here. but that's not a real fish test, they didn't even mention striped bass of summer fluke.:D

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I didn't know what half the fish were but I still got 15/15, because of the multiple choice format. Multiple choice just makes it too easy.

You must have done well on multiple choice format examinations that you didn't study for.

mps9506

My icthyology professor would have cringed at the thought of someone quizzing me on the common names only.
Gotta know the Latin, too much to confuse and overlap with common names. Even on that quiz there were fish I called by names that aren't given on the quiz. Someone could "know" the fish by one name and get the question wrong because the name they call it isn't on their.
Sorry just my rant, it's been a long day at work :D
And FWIW I got 14 out of 15. I don't know the difference between a coronetfish and trumpetfish.
Mike

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I'm sorry,but if you missed one you weren't trying very hard (newbies excluded). I didn't know what half the fish were but I still got 15/15, because of the multiple choice format. Multiple choice just makes it too easy.

Yes, Craig I agree. I guessed at 3 and got 15-15 = A. In ichthyology class it was fill in the blank. In Hoffsland's bird class you had a field test and about a nanosecond to ID the flippin' bird as he buzzed by, even if you didn't see it. :mad:

Curtswearing

Originally posted by mps9506
My icthyology professor would have cringed at the thought of someone quizzing me on the common names only.
Gotta know the Latin, too much to confuse and overlap with common names. Even on that quiz there were fish I called by names that aren't given on the quiz. Someone could "know" the fish by one name and get the question wrong because the name they call it isn't on their.
Sorry just my rant, it's been a long day at work :D
And FWIW I got 14 out of 15. I don't know the difference between a coronetfish and trumpetfish.

Stop being crabby Mike...JUST KIDDING!!! I got number 12 wrong because of common names....I looked at it and knew it was a trigger but it didn't look like any Picasso Trigger I've ever seen at the LFS so I guessed black trigger and got it wrong.

Here's the problem with common names

Humuhumukununukuapua

Picasso Trigger

Witfull

i had the advantage of 20+ yrs of LFS work,,,ive seen every common name possible!

one day for fun i labeled all the fish by latin name and confused the customers to no end,,,summer time in a LFS can be slow and you need to create fun!

reefjitsu

You must have done well on multiple choice format examinations that you didn't study for.
Yep, I was the master of multiple choice:D . The problem with MC is that they are rarely designed well. Even if the tester took the time to design a good test, you still got a 1:4 shot at any question you don't know the answer to.
I guessed at 3 and got 15-15 = A. In ichthyology class it was fill in the blank. In Hoffsland's bird class you had a field test and about a nanosecond to ID the flippin' bird as he buzzed by, even if you didn't see it.
Short answer and essay questions are the only way to go. Otherwise you are only testing the student's ability to memorize and regurgitate facts. You have to be able to understand and apply the concepts as well as knowing the facts.
I was always taught that you should know scientific as well as all the common vernacular names. A funny thing about common and scientific names, 75% of the time they just state the most obvious feature of the fish, the common name using plain words and the scientific using Latin.