Reef crystals test results

i tested reef crystals mixed to 1.025 results for Ca and Alk came out:
Ca: 490 ppm
Alk: 11.5 dkH
phos: 0
i dont have a magnesium test

Cassette87

Hmm... the calcium is a bit too high, ideally should be 400-450... more towards 450 if you're keeping a lot of LPS/SPS, but what makes your results more strange is that the alk is on the high side too... i would have expected your alk to be lower with 490ppm CA. Have you taken a couple more tests to verify the results?

prow

those are different than what i get. what test kits are you using?? my results over the years have avg. about these(going off memory);
Ca=390ish
alk=3.8ish
Mg=1200ish
ph=8.0ish
this is for 20gal batches. i add 2.5tsp of seachems Ca adv. and 7Tbls of adv. Mg to bring results to;
Ca=450ish
alk=4.2ish
Mg=1400ish
ph 8.0ish

Scouter Steve

i tested reef crystals mixed to 1.025 results for Ca and Alk came out:
Ca: 490 ppm
Alk: 11.5 dkH
phos: 0
i dont have a magnesium test

How are you measuring your SG? Refractometer or hydrometer? In other words, your levels seem high for RC and it wouldn't surprise me if your SG was higher then you think.

bluespotjawfish

Hello everyone!

I have heard through a local reef club that there is a batch of Reef Crystals on the market that has a very low magnesium content. I mix Reef Crystals with Red Sea Pro, and had already done so when I heard the news. Well, I have one of the batches! My mag (of the mix) is testing in the 1100's. Please test your magnesium if you are using Reef Crystals. You can send them a sample of your salt and if their tests confirm it is one of the batches they will replace your salt. Since I mixed mine, I don't get to do that. I'm adding a ton of mag to my water change water instead.