Reef Controllers

After reading some threads on reef keeper safety I've decided that a reef controller is not only a responsible purchase for my marine life but also for my family. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on reef controllers, what value they add, and which ones reefers have currently purchased and how happy they are with the product. I think this will be a great addition to the forum and help out new people joining the hobby.

DaveK

Reef controllers can do a lot for a reef system. However, it is no so critical that I would place it in the category of a required purchase. I'd put a controller as something to get when your existing filtration, skimmer, refugium and lighting is all up to par, and your looking to take things to a more automated system.

If your basic equipment isn't where you'd like it, then your much better spending you money on that, rather then a controller.

Currently I own an older Neptune Aquacontroller II. About all I use it for is to monitor a few things. For an older controller, it's not bad, but it can't do all the tricks the newer ones can.

jpsika08

Having the ability to schedule everything around the system, monitor water and check your system params from afar is pretty neat.
You can live without a controller, though, once you have one, you'll depend on it forever.

For controllers, I would only look at the Neptune Systems or Profilux, the latter is more expensive.

reefer gladness

It definitely makes feeding time and water changes much easier on my tank. I like not having to plug/unplug several sockets each time I do a feeding and could see that classified as a safety feature.

Reef Angel user here. It's not for everyone but I think it offers the most features for the money. The RA controller has to be programmed in the Arduino language by you to work. That's the biggest con and also the biggest pro, the programming isn't really that hard for someone like me and the flexibility of programming it myself means I can do things that other controllers can't.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have the Apex on my RSM250 and the Apex Jr. on my nano. I love them at feeding time. I use the Junior to control the lights and heater on my nano. On my RSM, I do not have the Apex controlling the chiller and heater temp because I need the pump that controls the chiller and the chiller to shut off when I feed. I have Radions lighting the tank and the Apex will not control them. They control themselves.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
No worries! I just wanted to make sure you got some info in case no one responded right away.

Reef controllers can do a lot for a reef system. However, it is no so critical that I would place it in the category of a required purchase. I'd put a controller as something to get when your existing filtration, skimmer, refugium and lighting is all up to par, and your looking to take things to a more automated system.

If your basic equipment isn't where you'd like it, then your much better spending you money on that, rather then a controller.

Currently I own an older Neptune Aquacontroller II. About all I use it for is to monitor a few things. For an older controller, it's not bad, but it can't do all the tricks the newer ones can.

Dave thanks for your feedback. I don't think I am going to install a fugue or a skimmer since I don't have a sump. I also didnt want to clutter the tank with systems hanging off the back. My tank is only 30gal and I figured I could maintain a health stable tank with just weekly water changes. I do still need lighting and figured the purchase of a controller was a cost saver in the long run over purchasing all the timers. Also being new to the hobby I thought that having a digital read of salinity, temp, and PH would aid In my overall success.

It definitely makes feeding time and water changes much easier on my tank. I like not having to plug/unplug several sockets each time I do a feeding and could see that classified as a safety feature.

Reef Angel user here. It's not for everyone but I think it offers the most features for the money. The RA controller has to be programmed in the Arduino language by you to work. That's the biggest con and also the biggest pro, the programming isn't really that hard for someone like me and the flexibility of programming it myself means I can do things that other controllers can't.

I am def going to look at the RA since a little programming doesn't really scare me. Does your system do everything that the others do? IYO will it meet my needs? I would like the controller to monitor PH, salinity, temp. And control two Tunze pumps and lights. A plus would be network access and alerts of failures.

reefer gladness

I am def going to look at the RA since a little programming doesn't really scare me. Does your system do everything that the others do? IYO will it meet my needs? I would like the controller to monitor PH, salinity, temp. And control two Tunze pumps and lights. A plus would be network access and alerts of failures.

To my knowledge it has every availabe feature and option you'll find on other controllers. pH and temp probes come standard, extra probes like salinity and ORP are available options. I use the RF expansion to control my Vortech MP-10 pumps, the Wi-Fi expansion allows me to control and see everything from my phone (Android or Apple). They handle analog of PWM dimming and interface with several name-brand LED lights.

Network access for alerts etc. is definitely possible with the Wi-Fi. expansion.

DaveK

Dave thanks for your feedback. I don't think I am going to install a fugue or a skimmer since I don't have a sump. I also didnt want to clutter the tank with systems hanging off the back. My tank is only 30gal and I figured I could maintain a health stable tank with just weekly water changes. I do still need lighting and figured the purchase of a controller was a cost saver in the long run over purchasing all the timers. Also being new to the hobby I thought that having a digital read of salinity, temp, and PH would aid In my overall success.

Considering that your tank is 30 gal, and you don't expect to be installing a skimmer or refugium, and you plan to do weekly water changes to maintain the water quality, I have to say that I think getting a controller would be a waste of money, and not at all cost effective. Lighting can be controlled with a couple of timers, and the you can add the test kits, thermometer, and a refractometer for a lot less than the cost of the controller. I recommend that you save your money at this point. Controllers are still on the somewhat expensive side, and while fun to play with, are not going to add too much to the type of system your planning. Outside of lighting, and maybe an auto top off, you really don't have much to control.

To put it another way, you have a comparatively low tech system, which will work fine, just as it is. Adding a controller to such a system is sort of like going out and buying the lowest price new car you can find, and then putting $150,000 in to it for custom body work. Or as another guy put it "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." (grin)

If you had a much larger tank, and a lot more to control, then a controller could be a very good addition.

Considering that your tank is 30 gal, and you don't expect to be installing a skimmer or refugium, and you plan to do weekly water changes to maintain the water quality, I have to say that I think getting a controller would be a waste of money, and not at all cost effective. Lighting can be controlled with a couple of timers, and the you can add the test kits, thermometer, and a refractometer for a lot less than the cost of the controller. I recommend that you save your money at this point. Controllers are still on the somewhat expensive side, and while fun to play with, are not going to add too much to the type of system your planning. Outside of lighting, and maybe an auto top off, you really don't have much to control.

To put it another way, you have a comparatively low tech system, which will work fine, just as it is. Adding a controller to such a system is sort of like going out and buying the lowest price new car you can find, and then putting $150,000 in to it for custom body work. Or as another guy put it "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." (grin)

If you had a much larger tank, and a lot more to control, then a controller could be a very good addition.

Dave thanks for your feed back. I was looking at controllers more for what I am protecting as opposed to what I am controlling. I read a thread about heater failure and an entire family being taken to the hospital. I was looking for the thread so that I could re-post but I cant seem to find it. Either way my concern and thought process for adding a controller to my tank was to a. protect my family from anything harmful that could result in tank failure and the presents of toxic corals in a failed tank and b. Protecting my investment in the hobby. Cool factor and being able to control even my limited setup was a secondary element.

To put it another way, I was looking at like I 'm building a classic car and installing seat belts and an alarm system.

DaveK

Dave thanks for your feed back. I was looking at controllers more for what I am protecting as opposed to what I am controlling. I read a thread about heater failure and an entire family being taken to the hospital. I was looking for the thread so that I could re-post but I cant seem to find it. Either way my concern and thought process for adding a controller to my tank was to a. protect my family from anything harmful that could result in tank failure and the presents of toxic corals in a failed tank and b. Protecting my investment in the hobby. Cool factor and being able to control even my limited setup was a secondary element.

To put it another way, I was looking at like I 'm building a classic car and installing seat belts and an alarm system.

I know I'm telling you what you don't want to hear, but a controller is not going to protect you or your family from anything like that. You are far more likely to bring something home that is already a potential problem. Also, a tank crash can happen really fast in a reef system, controller or not. You'll usually notice a host of other factors long before you'll see anything on the controller.

My personal experience always seems to be that the bad things happen when I'm on vacation and it's just not possible to get home in time to do anything.

Now, if your talking about protection of the system, you'd be much better off adding a skimmer, because it will remove a lot of bad stuff if something dies, and provides a visual indication by collecting a lot of foam if there is an issue. You'd also be better off investing in a UPS or backup generator, since many problems are related to loss of power. Consider also backup pumps on a different circuit, in case the main pump fails. You could also just get a larger tank, as the additional water volume would provide a much more stable system.

I will say this, getting a controller isn't going to hurt anything, so if you want to spent the money for the same reasons people buy super exotic sports cars, then go for it. Just don't expect more out of it than it really can deliver.

Nah it's cool Dave like I said my main goal was aimed at safety and it sounds like you are speaking from experience. I agree that a skimmer can probable help prevent a tank crash. I was actually looking at them today and thinking about adding DIY custom sump in the future. As for a backup power, I have a generator for my home and a few extra UPS in the garage. I suppose adding one of them to the setup wouldn't be a bad idea. Ill prob still get a controller as another layer of security and as I entertain the idea of adding a sump and possibly even an auto top off. It might make my life easier.
Not sure what you meant when you wrote You are far more likely to bring something home that is already a potential problem.

DaveK

... Not sure what you meant when you wrote You are far more likely to bring something home that is already a potential problem.

Just that it's very easy to purchase something that could wipe out your tank, or be dangerous to you, if your not aware. For example, a sea apple, which is a type of sea cucumber, looks really pretty, but if it dies in your tank, the toxins released will usually kill everything else. Another example would be a fire anemone. They are one of the few sea anemones that can actually sting you, so it should be handled using rubber gloves. I could go on, but you get the idea. I sort of have a personal rule. I don't want to get anything that might be able to really get me.Don't expect your LSF store to warn you about things like this. Many don't know themselves.

Ahh Good point Dave, I see where you are coming from. After reading your posts I've decided to make alot of changes to my plans and adjust my focus in safety and prevention. Thanks for all your feed back. I am def going to add a UPS to my setup and I am researching building a custom sump to add a skimmer. I have very limited space under my setup which was the main reason I tossed out the idea.

jerry26

i agree with davek.

i use a reef angel and it can do anything other controllers can do. if youre a skilled programmer, the other controllers wont come close to it in terms of what you want it to do.