Reef bugs by Marc Weiss... anyone use it?

ZAPCOnj

I was flipping though a copy of the "that fish place" catalog and came across a product called "reef bugs" and wanted to do a little research on it. for the most part it's food for your reef that you "hatch" by putting it in water. here is the info from the Marc Weiss site

http://www.marcweissaquariumproducts.com/reef_bugs.htm said:

Reef or marine “snow” is an aggregate of LIVING MICROBES clinging to, one or a combination of : organic, inorganic, volcanic, mineral, living or recently dead matter.

Reef Bugs™ yields particle sizes down to less than a micron and up to macroscopic particles. The individual living organisms are microscopic.

These microbes, primarily bacterial, and fungal (yeasts and related organisms) provide 30% of the planktonic matter raining down on the reef.

True reef / marine snow is alive and has the ability to nourish the reef with desirable edible organisms which are necessary for balancing the substrate and the creatures colonizing it. Reef Bugs™ is a unique product having these characteristics.

Reef Bugs™ contains twelve strains of edible, non - pathogenic marine microbes. They are not genetically modified. Instead they are selectively bred naturally occurring organisms. They are in an encysted spore state. They are packed dry in a matrix of minerals, vitamins, and carbohydrates that will enable hatching in about thirty minutes of being placed in typical reef aquarium water.

These organisms have been cultured to eat organic matter. While doing so they can sequester phosphorus, fix nitrogen, clean the substrate and behave in a civil manner should they escape being consumed. Those gathering at the substrate or biofilter obviously have the best chance of escaping. The intention of REEF BUGS™ is that they be eaten first. However a survival of the fittest will ensue where the strongest microbes will eat the weaker, smaller ones. All the microbes won’t succeed in colonization long term unless the product is used minimally three times a week.

Most significantly, there are particles included for the microbes to piggyback on, creating a true marine reef/marine snow. Living cells will even be coating other living cells. They will also begin to divide and reproduce upon hydration.

As an important, but not complete component of reef nutrition, I do not suggest exclusive dependence on this product to nourish your reef. It is potentially healthy and nourishing to some of these creatures. About ninety - two thousand species of organisms can inhabit the typical reef aquarium (Shimek, pers. comm.). It is impossible to make blanket statement as to the extent it will nourish your reef. One size doesn’t fit all. Reef Bugs™ is the only product that can actually restore the bio - compounds and missing components that replicate reef nutritional input in a scientifically sound and intelligent manner.

Reef Bugs™ endeavors to provide a live food with its attendant enzymes and hard to define factors that only a living feed organism can possess. The nutritional value of these organisms is dependent on the water they are living in, and what they adhere to, or might eat themselves once excysted. For example a vegetable’s nutritional value cannot be ascertained from its seed. The seed will ultimately be judged after light, watering, fertilization has turned it into an edible vegetable. Depending on those variables - the vegetable can grow into little more that water and cellulose or into a nutritious foodstuff.

In the reef aquarium, previously not seen cryptic organisms are likely to appear with use of this product. Other creatures will show behaviors that indicate the taking in of the Reef Bugs™ aggregate. This is is a colorful and interesting time to observe your reef life. Feeding at night under artificial moonlights can produce results not seen before as well.
How to use Reef Bugs™

A whole teaspoon (about 1.5 grams) could be used per hundred gallons a day in a “dialed in”, heavily stocked reef tank. I would start more conservatively, feeding one half teaspoon per day per 100 gallons daily. This has proved adequate and desirable as a starting application. As the mix of species as well as the quantity of the critters make each aquarium unique be conservative at first - the old axioms about overfeeding an aquarium should be remembered.

If excess is noted in the skimmer - you are probably using too much for the current bioload and decrease the portion by the wasted amount. Powerful skimming is likely to remove some before it is eaten even if the proper ration is fed. If none is found in the skimmer the ration can be increased. As critters grow, more Reef Bugs™ will be consumed.

Take a cup of aquarium water, put in the quantity of dry Reef Bugs™ as preferred, and stir. Stir again as often as you wish...but at least one more time after ten minutes to dissolve as thoroughly as reasonably possible. Stir again at thirty minutes (or more) and pour into aquarium. It all will soon dissolve.

Alternatively, just sprinkle into tank. It will take at least that twenty minutes for full effect though; usually ten minutes or so more. However undissolved particles my be eaten by a fish or some other non - target critter first. It is harmless to fishes etc. There are some results we are seeing that show that some organisms will consume the powder “raw”. I don’t know if this is of additional benefit; you may want to it both ways.

Storage

The product comes in a barrier bag. These bags do not permit oxygen or moisture to enter. Re-close bag by squeezing out air and resealing - it zips closed. Keep in cool dry place; the refrigerator is fine. Don’t freeze for extended periods - preferably not at all. It will be good for at least one year. Prior experience with the components has allowed viable storage much longer than that as long as it is dry as well as cool; a frost-free refrigerator works well with the bag well sealed.

I eagerly await all your observations and comments.

Thanks,
Marc

ADDITIONAL INFO THAT HAS COME IN:

Per feed-back from beta testers: it appears that not only SPS are consuming it. Somewhat to my surprise LPS is doing so as well...there is a possibility that this product could be applied quite frequently in pulse doses in the course of a day. This is consistent with the scientific literature...but something I only dreamed of achieving.
The above indicates value to larval fishes; several fish farms are now testing it. A freshwater version was also made and will be tested as well.
The response by soft corals is significant but enigmatic. This is being investigated by qualified invertebratologists.
Sept. 2005: newborn seahorses at Bill Al’s Aquarium Super Center, Tamarac Florida were fed Reef Bugs. They willingly ate the product in a bare, newly set up tank. We know the Bugs stimulate copepods which seahorses feed on, but there were none in this aquarium. The product was then tried on the parents who resided in an established reef tank. They ate both the product and the pods that came out to feed on the Reef Bugs.
January, 2006: Alicia Geddings of Afishyonados, an aquarium shop in Sumter, South Carolina spawned, and is rearing wolf eels on an initial and early stage diet of Reef Bugs. The story and photos can be found at: columbiamarineaquariumclub.org Go to forums, then to “Fish talk” and the wolf eel story and photos can be found to begin on January 5th. So far, two broods have been brought through the larval stage and are doing well.There is also reference to coral, polyp and copepod growth in the wolf eel thread and elsewhere in the forum .
March 2006: further experiments continues in South Carolina spearheaded by Dr. David Corey, marine invertebratologist, and his wife Helen, epidemiologist. Along with Alicia Geddings they have demonstrated rapid polyp growth in previously stressed organisms, explosive zooanthid growth, and regeneration of failing Goniopora. Alicia has two spawns of wolf eels; more than she know what to with! Even though the larvae are now “real fish” she insists on continuing to feed Reef Bugs™ as she sees the benefit of this natural supplementation.

My new-found friends at the Columbia Marine Aquarium Society in Columbia ,South Carolina: columbiamarineaquariumclub.org, have given Reef Bugs™ a lot of candid play; for better or worse, (from my perspective!) check out their site. There’s some good useful stuff there. There’s is plenty to be seen about Reef Bugs™ in the forums under “Fish Talk” and “Meetings and Business”.

Anyone living in South Florida can go to Big Al’s Aquarium Supercenter in Tamarac - University Drive , immediately South of McNab on the East side of University to see what Reef Bugs™ are doing. You can talk to Keith, their marine high tech guy or Yoel, their marine livestock guy or any of the human reef bugs that buzz around the place.

Marc Weiss Aquarium Products 3325 Griffin Road Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312 • USA Tel 954.961.2426 Fax 954.961.6950 Marc Weiss Aquarium Products - Blackworm Keeper Kleaner, Reef Bugs, Salt Water, Sweet Water, Aquarium Fish
MBWKK2

has anyone tried this product? or anyone know anything about it?

MatthewJ

wierd, I just found this late last night on drsfostersmith.com too. I wonder if it's a new product? I have the same questions.

kospaintball

I've seen it for months at my LFS, i asked about it when i first saw it and the guys who run the place don't sell anything they have not tried first so i knew they would know. They said it worked very well. I personally never tried but they said it was one of the better products out.

Ratpack

I have used it and it seemed to work rather well from what I could tell. When you add it to your water, it will cloud the tank for a little while so I suggest you put it in at night when you are not looking at the tank. That is what my LFS did as well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's not a "New Product" at all.

I'll have to agree with f-p in that MW has lot's of "stuff" that gets less than favorable reviews.

Who knows . . . it may be a GREAT thing....

CrazeUK

any updates on this product?

I am tempted to use it on my fluval edge..how the HELL will i work it out lol

fishhead

I have it , use it and sell it at my store. I agree MW does have some snake oil out there, but this product is not one of them. I use it once a week or so. I have some video on you-tube of my target mandarin and scooter blenny going to town on the stuff. I also have noticed an increase in the amount of pods and "micro serpent stars" in my Chaeto. I say yes it is a good product, but not to be overused like most things.

no1bubba

Bought it last week ........... was going to give it a shot over the weekend whenI am here to observe.......then I read the post about cloudy water and I guess I will try them when I can stay up late to observe. Bubba

fishhead

I didn't see the comment about cloudy water but, of course the water gets cloudy. How could it not? As with most planktonic foods, it soon clears from the water column. What is it that you read? Hmm :read:

no1bubba

I have used it and it seemed to work rather well from what I could tell. When you add it to your water, it will cloud the tank for a little while so I suggest you put it in at night when you are not looking at the tank. That is what my LFS did as well.