RedSea Reefer 350 - and so it begins

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
On the... plastic grids ... I never used them, more one way to do this... me, I always put my sand in & when wiggled my rock down into it.

StirCrayzy

I hardly have big tank, but I chose to put plastic eggcrate under the rocks because I wanted a buffer between rocks and glass, especially because I have intention of adding digging creatures.
Adding after the tank is setup is impossible, and I don't know of any negative effects, so why NOT have it in there to give stability to the rockwork without being directly on the glass.

dacianb

This weekend I build the stand - even if I was alone and my Ikea skills are close to zero level I was able to make it without issues. No spare small parts, so dont loose anything.
Honestly I expected to be more brilliant white, but is rather dull white - my wife was a bit disappointed.
The large Bubble Magus curve 7 skimmer entered without issues, also 2 big heaters and still space into central area for something more. In the pump compartment the DC Runner is taking a small space, so even more space available.
The issue I have for the moment is that the return pump have 25mm outlet, when the green tube from tank is 20mm. I went to the shop near me, but no such adaptors available. I have to dig the web to see a method to connect them.
My friend is still on holiday, so no help to lift the tank on stand. Also I will leave end of the week too, probably tank will be on the stand at end of August only.

20150731_114240.jpg 20150731_114251.jpg

StirCrayzy

My Quiet one 4000 return pump had these adapters included, Which is what you are looking for. It threads over 1" outlet, and has 20 & 25mm tapered barbs on it.
quiet-one-aquarium-pumps-pro-series-3

Part #R440325
http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/product-replacement-part/quiet-one-aquarium-pumps/

dacianb

FrootStick

Hey mate. Had any problems with your ATO stopping? Mine is constantly stopping every couple of days and needs to be reset.

dacianb

Hey mate. Had any problems with your ATO stopping? Mine is constantly stopping every couple of days and needs to be reset.
My system is still "dry", no water in, but how can you "reset" a mechanical valve??? Is a floating device connected to a valve, actually same concept as on toilets.

FrootStick

Yeah for some reason I have to adjust the valve quite often as the water stops coming through? It ain't blocked because when I open it up more it drops again!

dacianb

Loong time since my last post - apologize for that, but I was on holidays...
Short updates of my setup...
Before leaving in holiday I was unable to find the help to put the tank on the stand, but I filled in the sump with water, added a piece of live rock (from my current running tank), turned on the circulation pump in close loop (from sump back to sump) and also turned on the skimmer. At least skimmer to break-through my holiday.

Once back home 3 weeks later, I placed the tank on his place, added dry rocks (around 30-32 kg together with the existing piece of live rock) and sand (15 kg). After aquascaping, once I turned ON the power the DC Runner pump didnt started anymore, even if controller had LEDs ON. I run out to a near shop and bought a Jebao DC pump, this time at 4000l/hours, also with controller looking and working the same as the DC runner.

Started the RS Reef Care program and everything is on great track - I am in day 8 of the program.
Lack of pictures yet, but in this weekend I will take the time to take some. Also in the week-end I have to go and buy my clean-up crew.

dacianb

Yesterday I added an ATI/Jebao Stream Pump RW-8 (up to 8000 l/hour) to the system, on the side and oriented the flow along the tank - put it on Sin mode and doing great. Lot of flow, but dont bother the sand. May be a bit overkilled??? Now I already have 12 000 l/hour flow in a RS reefer 350.
As I dont have any fish/coral in tank is difficult to say if is too much flow.

I have a question regarding filter socks... every 2 days they are clogged and water runs above them. Is this normal? Or is just because my return pump is 4000 l/h when RS recommend 3000l/h. What if I remove them and let the skimmer to get rid of large debris catched normally by socks. Also, as water runs above the socks, lot of debris in catched now on the bubble trap sponge - I am afraid this will become a nitrate factory. Removing socks means to remove the bubble trap sponge too??

dacianb

So, here is my tank :) ugly brown algae everywhere, but on the right path.
For rock structure, this is the base rock only - I plan for the future to add (if I will see) beautiful pieces of rock, coral skeletons or even some artificial pillars. But for the moment I am happy with the look of it.
004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg
I am using for the moment a single LED engine (120W), but will add 2 more with some modifications on the original design.

This week-end I made a water change and added 10 snails, 2 very small ocellaris ( 2.5cm) and a green chromis at same size. After 3 days, they are doing great.

dacianb

In the sump I added a CherryAqua fixture I had around - now a lot of light there when I need.
ScreenShot.jpg

and also find a way to organize better the right side of the furniture.
011.jpg 012.jpg

dacianb

And here is my champion... One week ago I gave away my current tank + all live stock, but after 2 hours the guy took the tank and left I found this piece of coral in a small bucket - we just forget about it.
I had 2 alternatives - to drive couple of hours and bring it to that guy, or drop it in my new tank (one week old, during cycle). I took the second choice and this is how this coral looks after one week in a fully cycling tank.
008.jpg

dacianb

As for fish stocking plans...

Ocellaris clownfish 2x - already in
Royal Gramma Basslet
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Yellow Tang
Copperband Butterflyfish (eventually, but after few months only)
Blue/Green Reef Chromis - already in
Midas Blenny
Bicolor Blenny

too much? Or can fit more?