Red Tree Sponge Turning White

no1bubba

I do not see much about sponges but my two new sponges are turning white. If anyone can help or tell me where to go find information on sponges please let me know. Thanks, Bubba

no1bubba

Yes these are my new sponges. I am absolutely positive that they did not get any air, I opened the package under water. They were fine this morning and about a half an hour ago I looked and saw them turning white. I will move my power head. They have been fine since they arrived Saturday, would they just now be showing they are not settled in? Thanks, Bubba

seafansar

Oh they changed color that quick?! Ummm.... then I don't know. Can you post a pic? When mine slowly turned whitish grey, they were dying. Putting them in higher flow helped though.

reefracer

I have one that was attached to a rock that I got and it was pretty good sized. I was fine for a good while, months and then started to turn white and slough off but now it looks good and is red only smaller after the white left it. I really didn't change the flow as much as I think I am feeding better now for it. There are other sponges yellow, pink, grey that are doing well too. But those are mostly underside of rocks.

no1bubba

Thanks reefracer, I hope my outcome is as good as yours. I am adding more marine snow and have the power HEADS turned on them but this morning they look even whiter. I am having a problem uploading the pics. If anyone knows the secret of uploading please let me know. I use Picsa 3. Thanks, Bubba

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have no experience with Picsa but are there any "Upload" code? Like something that says "Forum/Board UMG code"?

no1bubba

Can not find anything close to that on Picsa, I just transferred everything to HP Photo smart will give it a try later this afternoon. Bubba

Blurp

If it's turning white so quickly, it must be somehow dying, take a look and check it isn't growing into another direction, and try with more water flow, where, with respect to light, is it placed?