Red Slime Algae once again

Well went on vacation for a week and my friend took care of my tank. Today i get home and to my surprise there is everyones buddy red slime algae. I think my friend over fed the tank. (if this is correct tell me). So where do i go from here.

well do you have live rock?> if so scrub with tooth brush into seperate container and then siphon out the red slime algea once it settles to the bottom after you scrape it off the glass of course.. Also increase flow and lighting could help in future

jesse92

yes the red slime on the bottom of the tank makes everyone smile(shifty eyes).....i got a bit atm......increased lighting and flow unfortuneatly wont remove red slime algae.....the best thing to do is remove as much as u can manually and do some regular water changes until its gone.....getting prolific algae eating fish or crustacean would do well coupled with healthy water....taking live rock out to scrub with only stress ur fish...not to mention being a huge hassle

acemow

Thanks for reminding me. I will be out of town for six days and my only concern for tank is over feeding. I do not want to come home to chaos in my tank, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

l3fty999

Don't we all just love this algae. Its like a red comforter lol. So manually remove and slow down on the feeding got it.

Red comforter...reds... huh huh huh...sorry, had a flashback. Although it's controversial, you may want to look into dosing vodka. Search the forums here and you will find the information you need. It's working for me:drunk: , and apparently it's working for others too, but it's not for everyone. I'll tell you this: I do fewer water changes than others and vodka is cheaper than salt. I've taken a sample into the lfs and they said nitrates were at 0 ppm. I told the guy who ran the tests what I was doing and I thought he was going to have to run home for a change of underwear. What you're doing by dosing vodka is encouraging the growth of bacteria that will remove the nitrates for you. Then, the cyanobacteria that you have will essentially be starved out. It's just my 2 cents.

Take care
Aaron