Red Slim Algea

RuggerReef

I am having a problem with the red slim algea!!! It seems to be a continues problem. Every time that I get it to go away it pops back up in a new location. Can someone tell me how to get rid of it and keep it away???

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
more info is needed. Age of the tank? do u use RO/DI or Tapwater to mix your SW? how often do you do Water changes? what salt mix? What lights, and how old are the bulbs? what size tank, and how much flow? What kind of filtration? Do you have a Master SW test kit? what are parameters(Nitrate, Phosphate, ammonia)

I've seen red slime algae a time or two. It could also be Cyanobacteria outbreak. Odds are, you have high nutrients(cured by RO/DI based SW made with Synthetic SW mix, 20% once a month or more) or you wouldn't have either one. If the tank is new, Cyano is naturally part of the breakin process for new tank. Leave the lights off for a week, do some WC and it will resolve itself. If the tank is Brand new, IE less than 2mo from setup, you are right on Q. If you are using Tap water to make your SW, stop. I tried to get into SW cheap and use treated tap water. I was constantly battling algae. All that vanished when I did a few 50% water changes with RO/DI based SW. Tap water has stuff in it that's safe for PEOPLE, but isn't acceptable to marine life.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
+1^

Also check your phosphate levels. May times with outbreaks it is due to your phosphates being too high.

RuggerReef

Well, my tank is 20g and it's 6 mo. olds my phosphate, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia is all at 0ppm. I use the Zoo Med T5 lights w/ a 6500k(ultra sun) bulb and antanic 420(coral sun) bulb and they are less than 4 mo. old. I am using an old fashion HOB filter that fits a 20g tank. I also have a powerhead rated at 500 gph. I do a WC (5g) once a month and I use store bought distilled water, I have never put tap water in this tank since I set it up.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
there is part of the problem right there. Replace the 6500k bulb. that color spectrum is too red, most corals wont get much out of it, but it will grow Algae like nobody's business. I'd advise something in the 10k range. if you already have algae, your readings may be whacked. I'd do a manual siphon removal of as much as possible, after you change out the bulb. The rest of your system sounds good. If you still have issues after changing the bulb, do a 3 day blackout. Leave the lights off for 3 days, only turning them on to feed the fish for 30 min. If you dont have corals, do a 7 day blackout. That will get rid of the algae.

Mike Johnson

Red Slime Algae grows on detritus with the aid of photosynthesis. I agree with the post above about the bulb. Syphon out the Red Slime Algae and you'll be cleaning your tank at the same time. It's really not that hard to get rid of, with stepped up maintenance. Increased flow also helps.

ddelozier: pretty much took the words out of my mouth cept. he left out another minor problem. stay away from distilled water pretty much the same **** out of your faucet just bottled. i suggest to find a local water supplier and get the RO water cheap 25 cents/gallon. i use 5 gallon buckets with lids and store em

yvr

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. If you have bio balls, check if they are dirty or get rid of them if you have enough live rock. Also, changing your photo period, light bulbs, adding more flow, using RO/DI water with a good salt like Tropic Marin. If your phosphates are high you can add a phosphate remover like TM Elimi-Pho also, increasing flow in your tank may help too.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I am using an old fashion HOB filter

If it's just a sponge, then it's not removing any nutrients at all. If it's a bio wheel, then it's helping to remove ammonia (but that's not really a problem if you have rock and sand), but it's not doing anything to remove any nitrate or phosphate. So your only current nutrient removal is waterchanges, which removes only a small amount (say, 20%), and only does it the one day you did them.

saltfan

might think about changing the water more than once a month. twice minimum, I personally change all 3 of my tanks every week.