Red Sea Max S-400 Top-up System

Greetings,
I am reposting this thread since after the portal crash it got disappeared :).

Since I travel a lot (like most of you) and typically I am away for a week or so, I need to know :confused: :
a) How long typically the water reservoir lasts? 3-4 days?
b) Are there any systems that one could add easily so that the period could get extended to 7-10 days?
c) And a final "Simple" question: What really happens to the system if the reservoir runs out of the water, do we get some underflow and the system gets crazy!? :bugout:

Any help would be appreciated! :help1:

Thank you!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a :bump: on the above question for S series members... ^

and very sorry for the lost post...

the forum crashed & the host company had to restore to 9/11 because of several software security updates that were applied over several days that kept more current backups from being used - this is the 1st time in many years post have been lost from RS & losing post happens very very infrequently.

No problem! It happens!
In any event I love your site! Many thanks for it.
I know someone had posted a response to thos thread just before the crash, so I hope he could re-post it! :)
Cheers

David Shaw

Greetings,
I am reposting this thread since after the portal crash it got disappeared :).

Since I travel a lot (like most of you) and typically I am away for a week or so, I need to know :confused: :
a) How long typically the water reservoir lasts? 3-4 days?
b) Are there any systems that one could add easily so that the period could get extended to 7-10 days?
c) And a final "Simple" question: What really happens to the system if the reservoir runs out of the water, do we get some underflow and the system gets crazy!? :bugout:

Any help would be appreciated! :help1:

Thank you!

If you fill the ATO up ALL THE WAY to the lid that you lift up, then you will get 7-10 days out of it, that's what i do.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Man I'm lucky to get 4 days in the hotter weather, mainly as I have a fan running.

Alan

Super, thank you Alan!
Do you have a s400 and if yes, do you have LED lights or chiller?
How warm does your tank usually gets? Thanks.

I have a chiller on my 500. I have read that if you are going to be away for longer than a couple of days, you can add an additional ATO with 5gal attached to the sump to take over once the internal ATO empties so you do not risk losing too much water. Also, shutting off the light will help cut down on evaporation. Hope this helps.

sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk 4

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Super, thank you Alan!
Do you have a s400 and if yes, do you have LED lights or chiller?
How warm does your tank usually gets? Thanks.

I have the 650, no LEDs but as with these tanks it's almost necessary to run a chiller tbh. To keep my top tank topped up, I have installed a RO line from the kitchen to the tank. I run a timer and let it put in a hours worth of RO a day into the tank top up system that way it runs down less over the week.

I'm currently running the tank at 25.5 as the set point.

Alan

Mdk16

I have the 650, no LEDs but as with these tanks it's almost necessary to run a chiller tbh. To keep my top tank topped up, I have installed a RO line from the kitchen to the tank. I run a timer and let it put in a hours worth of RO a day into the tank top up system that way it runs down less over the week.

I'm currently running the tank at 25.5 as the set point.

Alan

Alan, can you post a few pics of your ato? How far away is your kitchen from the tank? I was considering doing something similar but I would have to run a line through the attic and down to the tank. I have water on the wall that the tank is up against but I don't have a drain to hook up the ro unit there.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Not much to picture really, just imagine a RO line in the chamber that the ATU water sits in. This comes of my Rodi unit in the kitchen CIA a tap and a auto shutoff like the ones you get in the float kits that can be bought for RO units. This runs through a solenoid on a timer. I will try to get a pic of sorts tomorrow night once back home.

Alan