Red Sea Max main sump pump isue

adamsfour

Going to start a new tread on a issue I am having to see if others are having similar problems. About every 3 to 4 months my sump pump will not restart after I do a water change. I traced the problem to a dirty/gummed up Impeller. Once I replace the impeller the pump works as normal. Not sure of the source. Has anyone else seen this problem and come up with a solution. It not a big deal to pull the pump and swap the impeller but I would think there should be a better fix.

adamsfour

All a update. As mentioned my sump pump seem to have a issue of getting gummed up. Last month I pulled the pump, cleaned the impeller and reinstalled. I have noticed since I did that the pump ran with a lot more noise. I broke down and put my spare pump in and everything is now silent. Any idea on a long term solution. I assume it's still a impeller issue as that is the only moving part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrienne

My left pump (the replacement one as my first one was faulty) doesn't restart if I switch it off until I remove it and turn it on at the top of the water level. How long has your tank been running - is it still under warranty?

Check to see if you bedded the impeller back in properly when you cleaned it - if it is loose it will knock against the sides.

LakeLivin

+1 on making sure the propellor is correctly fitted. I've never had a problem with my main pump but I did purchase a backup and have begun rotating my pumps every couple months. This allows me to soak one pump in a bowl of vinegar for a day or so and remove all traces of gunk/algae so it's like new when I put it back in the sump the next time I rotate pumps. A spare main pump is a must have for any aquarium in my opinion so I figure why not put it to use.

Lexinverts

I just had this happen to my skimmer pump. LakeLivin, do you soak the whole pump in vinegar or just the impellar?

LakeLivin

I disassemble the pump(s) clean/scrub all the parts with a toothbrush while rinsing them under a running tap and then submerge the entire pump with the loose parts in a container of vinegar (not including the plug end of the power cord of course). After letting them soak for a day or so I remove them from the vinegar and repeat the toothbrush scrubbing and rinsing under tap water before reassembling.

adamsfour

I am talking about pump in sump not power heads. I have had the same issue with the power heads. Just open power head clean the impeller and replace that fixes the problem for me. I do it once every couple of months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LakeLivin

I was talking about pumps as well. However, I clean my power heads with the same process I described above. Except that I will just soak the powerhead for a couple hours instead of overnight. Overnight is probably overkill anyway, but because I don't plan to put the pump back into the tank until it's rotation time again I figure the soak time can't hurt.

I don't have spare MP40's, just some spare parts for them. Consequently, I give them a soak in vinegar for a couple hours when the coralline algae begins to take over. Otherwise I just disassemble and scrub each part with a toothbrush under a running tap, dry, reassemble and put them back in the tank.

Choff

I use citric acid. It works much faster (and better IMO) than vinegar. I soak it for an hour and then I b practically rinse off the calcium build up.

Adam, is fairly typical to need to service your pumps every 6 to 9 months, but if yours are gumming up in 3 months your mag or calc/alk ratio might be out if whack.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

Food grade citric acid should definitely do a faster job. I use the vinegar because you can get it at any grocery store. Never looked for the citric acid before but next time I'm shopping I'll have a look around and check availability and price. The vinegar has worked fine for me based on my schedule but I certainly agree citric acid will make quicker work of it.

I use the white vinegar to clean out my condensor drip lines on my AC handler units. Here is Florida it is a must to keep the lines free of the muck that grows in the lines. Consequently, I just use the same product for both purposes.