Red Sea Max Evaporation

I have a Max 250 and the water level in the window seems to drop about 4 lines a day, is that normal for this setup? I'm thinking about adding a Tunze ATO.

steved13

PREMIUM
It will depend on the conditions around the tank, dry air in the room will evap more, warmer will evap more, etc.

ATO is a nice addition.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I don't have a chiller, so I top off a bit more than some, as my rear fans run 24 x 7 - I add around 5 gallons of ro/di water a week, maybe a bit more... a gallon down, drop my water level window around 3 lines or so...

hope this helps

tnwillia

+1^, You can also add seasons in there I loose far more fall/winter than spring/summer/ Good luck!

I add about five gallons every ten days. If I run the cooling fans it changes to about seven to eight gallons a week.

If I were going to get an ATO, the Tunze would probably be it. One issue with that is if you use mechanical filtration and particularly the filter pad cartridge it tends to back up water on one side of it and changes the water levels.

While I was deciding which ATO to get I set up a dosing pump and a five dollar timer. A year and a half later it still works perfectly. My salinity never moves and had no reason to change it. And if there is a seasonal change all I have to do is flick on or off a couple of fingers on the timer. From what you say you would be better off with an aqua lifter pump. I don’t think a doser will keep up with your evaporation. I would guess you are using the fans.

Hope this helps, JOHN

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about getting the Tunze. I'm using around 5 gallons every 7 to 8 days. The window on the side of the tank was throwing me off with the evaporation. Like you said, the filter pad changes the left chamber water height.

On another note, my tank has been cycling for a couple of weeks. I'm going through the green algae phase now. I notice that my sand still seems to get stirred up pretty easily and there is always some floating through the tank. Is this normal for a new tank? Even made sure my powerheads weren't aimed too low.

Hongkonger

On another note, my tank has been cycling for a couple of weeks. I'm going through the green algae phase now. I notice that my sand still seems to get stirred up pretty easily and there is always some floating through the tank. Is this normal for a new tank? Even made sure my powerheads weren't aimed too low.

It is pretty normal, at least in my experience. I have the reef grade sand and my mp10 pushed it all over at the beginning and all kinds of junk was floating around. Then it settled until I got my sleeper goby and then he started sifting and more came up and floated around. That was about 2 months ago now when he sifts barely any comes up, just a little just less and less everyday. Its almost three months now and not much floating around now.
Cheers

mtk

Right now i am losing about 2-4 lines of water a day. As for sand floating/stirring up I had the same thing. I had a supper fine sand and after about two months I added some heavier grade sand to try and hold the rest down. It seemed to work for me and I am sure over time fine sand will settle down also. I just lost patience waiting lol.

infer66

Ever since I turned off my AUX fan I get almost no evaporation. Before it was about two gallons a week.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Dorgs2

I go though roughly 5-6 gallons of top-off a week too.....running fans like Glenn with no chiller. ATO is one of the best purchases IMO.

I'm using the seaflor special grade and my MP10 has yet to create a "sand-storm" :)

TD

mtk

You could always siphon some out during a water change. I think I just added the seaflor special grade on top of my fine sand and it miked togeather. I don't remember if I removed any when I added it

Rekkie

I have a Max 250 and the water level in the window seems to drop about 4 lines a day, is that normal for this setup? I'm thinking about adding a Tunze ATO.

Hi I had the same problem because of the fans which are needed in Australia if there is no chiller connected. Since I have added the Teco TR20 chiller and turned off the fans the water drops about 1 - 2 lines every two days or so.

It also seems i dont have to adjust the skimmer that much anymore because the level stays constant.

I went ahead and changed out my sand to the seafloor special grade. That was a job. lol What a different the right sand makes, this stuff doesn't even want to float it I stir it up. Thanks for the advice. :)

Hi I had the same problem because of the fans which are needed in Australia if there is no chiller connected. Since I have added the Teco TR20 chiller and turned off the fans the water drops about 1 - 2 lines every two days or so.

It also seems i dont have to adjust the skimmer that much anymore because the level stays constant.

I wish I could get away without using the cooling fan but I don't have a chiller and the temps want to rise at least 3 degrees without it on. I'll be adding a ATO very soon. Hopefully my Deltec will get here tomorrow. :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That is one very really nice advantage to a chiller ! Less evaporation and when combined with an ATO, the skimmer does work better at a constant water level.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I went ahead and changed out my sand to the seafloor special grade. That was a job. lol What a different the right sand makes, this stuff doesn't even want to float it I stir it up. Thanks for the advice

You are very welcome ! I think you are going to really be happy you did this !!!
1085.gif