red sea Max C250 evaporation

PhilippeReef

I started a max C 250 3 weeks ago, everything works fine.
The water temperature is between 76 F and 79 F most days, room temp around 74 F but it seems I have a lot of evaporation, everyday I have to add at least 1/2 a gallon of water. It's mostly the right side that loses most of it. The skimmer works fine and the container doesn't fill up rapidly, I have the gate all the way up for max efficiency. As anyone had the same issue ? could it be that the pump over heat ?
Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

this is normal... is what everyone has to do... in my RSM 250 (66 gallon) I topoff 5 gallons a week rodi (not sw) if you run a chiller it cuts down on it some...

PhilippeReef

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

this is normal... is what everyone has to do... in my RSM 250 (66 gallon) I topoff 5 gallons a week rodi (not sw) if you run a chiller it cuts down on it some...

OK, do you still replace water every few weeks, the store told me 10 gallons every 3 weeks but they also told me I would not need to add much water & not to worry about keeping up with levels...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
salt does not evaporate ... everyone needs to topoff with plain (not saltwater) preferably plain ro/di - daily is best or many get an ato (automatic top off unit) like this, but it can be done manually too
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-osmolator-universal-3155-auto-top-off.html

Corals use up elements & water changes replace these elements - I would suggest in your 66 gallon tank to do a weekly sw (saltwater) change of 10-15% - this is what the majority of RSM owners do with their tanks.

Here one great tip that will serve you well, whatever the lfs (local fish store) tells you, verify it here on RS. :nessie:

PhilippeReef

salt does not evaporate ... everyone needs to topoff with plain (not saltwater) preferably plain ro/di - daily is best or many get an ato (automatic top off unit) like this, but it can be done manually too

Corals use up elements & water changes replace these elements - I would suggest in your 66 gallon tank to do a weekly sw (saltwater) change of 10-15% - this is what the majority of RSM owners do with their tanks.

Here one great tip that will serve you well, whatever the lfs (local fish store) tells you, verify it here on RS. :nessie:

I test the salinity almost daily, when I first cleaned the tank I noticed a lot of salt actually was on the back fans placed on the right side of the skimmer, which makes me think it's why I was getting so much evaporation but I leave it be. I guess I will need lot of trips to the store to get water and things are not as easy as the store told me. Before we had a 20 gallons. I will be posting pics later on. Again thanks for the advise :scuba:

Pat24601

Everything Glenn said. I evaporate about 5 gallons a week which I replace with fresh water.