Red Sea max 250 with triton

zulu27

Hey guys is there anyone out there that has the RSM250 and runs triton. Could you let me no please.

reefer gladness

Are you referring to the Triton dosing system or the Triton LED's or something else? Sounds like you're running the Triton dosing system.

Either way a sump isn't a requirement, it's something you can choose to add if you wish but what exactly are you trying to accomplish? You'll find very few people using the Triton system, most everyone here will swear by regular water changes which is something Triton system tries to eliminate.

Macroalgae in a sump can be a method of exporting nitrates and phospates, these elements are taken up by the macroalgae when they grow and are removed from the closed system when you cull a portion of the algae to allow more growth. Macro algae is also a good place for pods to reproduce safely.

There's only one place to get an external overflow box for the RSM tank - Lifereef. Your RSM tank has a high plastic wall in the back sump area and the Lifereef overflow box is the only one made specifically to hang over that plastic wall.

zulu27

Are you referring to the Triton dosing system or the Triton LED's or something else? Sounds like you're running the Triton dosing system.

Either way a sump isn't a requirement, it's something you can choose to add if you wish but what exactly are you trying to accomplish? You'll find very few people using the Triton system, most everyone here will swear by regular water changes which is something Triton system tries to eliminate.

Macroalgae in a sump can be a method of exporting nitrates and phospates, these elements are taken up by the macroalgae when they grow and are removed from the closed system when you cull a portion of the algae to allow more growth. Macro algae is also a good place for pods to reproduce safely.

There's only one place to get an external overflow box for the RSM tank - Lifereef. Your RSM tank has a high plastic wall in the back sump area and the Lifereef overflow box is the only one made specifically to hang over that plastic wall.
Thank you for your answer, yes I was after staring to use the triton dosing method and I have been told that I need a dump for nitrate and phos removal I will have a look into the overflow box you said about.

reefer gladness

Thank you for your answer, yes I was after staring to use the triton dosing method and I have been told that I need a dump for nitrate and phos removal I will have a look into the overflow box you said about.

FWIW, nitrate and phosphate removal is major reason why so many of us do regular water changes - even the systems that have sumps. That and the replenishment of the same elements supplied by the Triton dosing system.

Eliminating the need for water changes has been a holy grail of reefing from the beginning. You're kind of on the bleeding edge, almost experimental really using methods like this. Try Googling 'Dutch synthetic reefing' to find more info about this method.

For anyone new to the hobby of reefing I would urge them to achieve a level of success with established methods of reefing before venturing off to methods like the DSR or Triton system.

zulu27

FWIW, nitrate and phosphate removal is major reason why so many of us do regular water changes - even the systems that have sumps. That and the replenishment of the same elements supplied by the Triton dosing system.

Eliminating the need for water changes has been a holy grail of reefing from the beginning. You're kind of on the bleeding edge, almost experimental really using methods like this. Try Googling 'Dutch synthetic reefing' to find more info about this method.

For anyone new to the hobby of reefing I would urge them to achieve a level of success with established methods of reefing before venturing off to methods like the DSR or Triton system.
I have had my tank running about a year and a half with no problems. The only reason I am thinking about it is because I have seen the results of people's tanks using triton. It's only an idea at the min

zulu27

And it always good to hear other people opinion on every matter. Like I say it's only an idea at the min.