Red Sea Max 250 over heating

ZebbyD

Hi all

Since setting up my RSM250 a few weeks ago I've had an over heating problem. The tank runs at around 27 when lights off to about 28.2 - 29.2 when the lights are on. This also requires I leave the first part of the hood open and I've also put some RO ice blocks in for ensure it doesn't go any higher.

Haven't got the heater on at all so it isn't that.

Now I have noticed that the fans on the right hand side of the tank are really hot and only one is working (and working overtime). On the left hand side both fans are working but seem slow in comparison to the one fan on the right. As for the back extra fans they aren't on at all. Will have a look at those now.

Any ideas?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Seb 82 to 84f not to panic in fact I doubt it will even hurt...

As for the back extra fans they aren't on at all.
I don't have a chiller but keep our home at 73F & the rear cooling fan always running - you will want to get your fans sorted for sure, but don't panic at these temps - if your don't have air conditioning & keep it at 73F or lower, you might consider a chiller

Tank Temperatures - What Is Optimal For A Saltwater Aquarium?

Ron Shimek wrote an article about the average ocean coral reef temperature being between 82-84

For example, if a given coral species has a temperature optimum of 84 ° F, but can tolerate temperatures from 75 ° F to 93 ° F, that species will spread through out the contiguous environment to occupy all survivable habitats within that temperature range

Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

ZebbyD

Hi Glenn, cheers for the links!

Had a read through and it doesn't seem like it will be a problem, however, if I close the front of my hood I'm worried that the temp will go up even more. Really need to get those back fans working and checking what the temp is then. I really think I'm going to have to invest in a chiller, I don't want to fork out any more money for something that I shouldn't have needed. Really shame.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome !

Really need to get those back fans working

That's for sure !!! or a chiller... the rear cooling fans don't cost much at all - here the 130D one $12.99 - might ask Stevie if they are the same or if he has the 250 ones - if you are in the states, if not you still should be able to get a replacement at a very low cost & they come with a new 120V AC/DC adaptor too :dance:

RSM Cooling Fan Kit

ZebbyD

Will be the 250 version I need. I'm also slightly worried that there may be an issue with the power supply. Could I run the water cooling fans from a power supply?

StevieT

RS Sponsor
The fans all run on DC power, converted internally in the hood. 250 has it's own fans, the 130's are different. I don't know the voltage of the water cooling fan in the rear of the tank but you could easily check if it has power coming out of the plug with a meter. Also make sure the switch is on for it which is by the timer.

you still may need a chiller, this tank is pretty big with lots of lighting and an enclosed hood, don't know if I would put all my faith in the fans especially in the summer.