Red Sea Max 250 black filter sponges

pablomay28

I have been told and have seen many RSM 250 owners talk about not using the black sponges.
I currently use them with filter floss on top. I recently posted some pics on how I do my water change and was advised not to use the sponges and the ceramic rings.
I have not had an issue yet as my test are always flawless. Any recommendations?

Thanks. I look forward to your replies.

Last edited:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You can leave the black sponges but you'll need to remove them and clean them weekly, that's why must remove them.
As far as the ceramic rings, you should remove those as they will just become Nitrate traps over time and cause problems.

pablomay28

I ran the stock fine filter but it would get clogged easily and set my ATO off. In fact I have 4 fine filter pads and have opted to not use them. That is why I use filter floss on the black ones. I am considering ordering the media rack.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I run an inTank Media Rack (the new RSM C-250 tried to duplicate them, so many liked them) they are nice !

On the stock fine filter, try this, seat it & then pull it up... maybe 1 1/2 inches - will allow better flow & still trap quite a bit, take it to the sink & rise under running tap water a couple times a week, shake dry & replace.

steveh

The ceramic rings are only suggested for use if you have no live rock, as they provide high surface area for bacteria. If you are using live rock then I would suggest removing them. Whether or not you use the foam, filter floss or fine filter pads is a personal choice which will also depend on how much particulate matter is in your aquarium, as you don't want something which clogs all the time. Remember that the sponges also act as a micro-bubble-trap though. We suggest you use a high quality carbon for chemical filtration. Just be sure that whatever you add does not restrict the water flow too significantly.