Red Sea max 130D micorbubbles

adamsfour

I am sure there are dozen of threads on this topic but felt it was easier to just start a new one. I have two RSM 130 (one is a 130D). they have been up and running for years. The 130d has a constant problem with microbubbles. I have confirmed it coming from the protein skimmer. If I turn it of within a few minutes it is totally clear again. I have tried all of the standard recommendation: Change water level, change pump, reduce the flow of air into the Protein skimmer, clean everything. Still no joy. anyone had similar problems and discovered a fix. It has no adverse affect on the inhabitants but it does cloud the view a bit.

Thanks for the help

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Have helped 100's of members solve microbubbles, but not ones coming from the skimmer - sure some members that have had similar can help.

My 1st guess... is always related to water levels - have found the 130 & 130D's have a bit different setup in this regards - if this helps any.

See what others think... here a bump

adamsfour

Thanks, I have tried to tweak the water level by changing the amount flowing in. I guess what is driving me towards the Protein skimmer is that it goes away when I turn it off. I think we are familiar with the issues with the power head causes large bubbles. That is not what this is. I did notice that the level is different in the 130 vs 130 D. It much lower in the 130.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
that is correct ^ could the water level be higher, when you turn off the skimmer?

If you pull the skimmer & put it in a 5 gallon bucket, does it still have microbubbles?

adamsfour

Hello, I actually believe I fix the problem. I found that if I increase the air flow into the pump the bubbles actually went away. Strange as I figured it would be the opposite. Thanks for all the great help