Red Sea E 260

rmcfish

Hi everybody, I'm new to the hobby. I've been talking with my LFS about various tank setups and I'm thinking the E 260 would be a good way to start. Do you all have any recommendations? I'm wanting something more the 50 gallons and less than 100. Thanks!

DaveK

Most important is what do you plan to keep in the tank? Figure that out first, before you consider any equipment. You don't need a complete stocking list, but you should have some specific goals in mind.

I have posted this before, it's the best advice I can give someone new to the hobby,

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Pat24601

The Red Sea tanks are very popular on this forum. Many of us have them.

The E-260 is the current version of the C-250, which I have and I love it.

I’m a big fan of my tank. It’s not too big, not too small for my needs and is very well designed to have all the equipment work seamlessly together. My wife definitely doesn’t want me to get a bigger one and I’m not sure if I’d want a bigger one...it depends on how much more maintenance it would be. I definitely don’t want smaller.

DaveK makes a good point, though, as he often does. Whether or not it’s a good one for you depends on what you want to do. It’s not really a recommended size for most Tangs, for example, but it is a good size for a lot of other cool fish.

rmcfish

Thank you for your excellent advice DaveK! I ordered the books and will study them before I move forward.

And thank you Pat24601. I'm glad you like your tank. I'm thinking that I agree on the size but I do like Tangs and realize they require more room. So, I'll think about it.

Pancho75

Welcome to the hobby, if you want it bigger than the E-260, if want to stay in Red Sea tanks it would be the Reefer 350 (90 g) but it is not a Max, you would have to buy separately the lights, filters, skimmer, etc. Many people like that flexibility. Others like me prefer something built and prepared to work from day 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmcfish

Welcome to the hobby, if you want it bigger than the E-260, if want to stay in Red Sea tanks it would be the Reefer 350 (90 g) but it is not a Max, you would have to buy separately the lights, filters, skimmer, etc. Many people like that flexibility. Others like me prefer something built and prepared to work from day 0.

Thanks! I've looked at the Reefer 350. It seems like it will be a little more expensive to set one of those up. I need to decide if I want to drop that kind of doe and figure out what kind of skimmer, pump, lights, etc to buy.

Reactions: SPR

Pat24601

Thanks! I've looked at the Reefer 350. It seems like it will be a little more expensive to set one of those up. I need to decide if I want to drop that kind of doe and figure out what kind of skimmer, pump, lights, etc to buy.

If you are comfortable with the price of an E-260 and not a Reefer 350 that might be your answer right there. Once you have the tank you will still have lots of money to spend on things like live rock and livestock. My LFS once said to use a rule of thumb of 40% of your tank price is what it takes to fill a tank. That can obviously be highly variable.

My point is, a bigger tank is not JUST more money for the tank, but ALSO more money for everything else.

The E-260 is definitely a good tank if that's where you are leaning.

rmcfish

If you are comfortable with the price of an E-260 and not a Reefer 350 that might be your answer right there. Once you have the tank you will still have lots of money to spend on things like live rock and livestock. My LFS once said to use a rule of thumb of 40% of your tank price is what it takes to fill a tank. That can obviously be highly variable.

My point is, a bigger tank is not JUST more money for the tank, but ALSO more money for everything else.

The E-260 is definitely a good tank if that's where you are leaning.
I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks again!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
lots of great choices...
imo ... a MAX E-260 LED COMPLETE REEF SYSTEM (69 GAL) would be an ideal 1st tank

One thing to think about... the larger you go... is water changes... one big key to success...

I started with a RSM 130D and after I had great success with it, I wanted a bigger tank, my next one was a RSM 250, if I had known I would have had such success starting out in saltwater, I would have started with the RSM 250

SPR

I’ve owned the Max E 260 until I upgraded (after 2 months!) to the Max S 650.

The E260 is a beautiful looking system and all self contained and does what’s is supposed to do. It’s beautifully made so you would be more than happy with it.

But....

What I would actually do, if you can afford it and fit it into your home, is look at the entry level Max S 400 which is only slightly bigger but it’s worlds apart in terms of equipment, skimmer, cleaning etc., and more importantly ease of use. There is simply no comparison in terms of use once you get into the hobby. There are also the Reefers but I prefer self contained (no wires, pumps showing etc).

The S Series are all compact and self contained so no wires hanging everywhere, and you can also upgrade any of the equipment easily if and when you progress in the hobby. This would be a lot more difficult with the E260 due to its design.

In the E260 everything is packed into the rear chamber very tightly and as such it’s just more difficult to clean, maintain and the square black filter sponges crammed in the back drove me mad pulling them out. But then filter socks now drive me mad so..!

If your thinking Tangs the E260 is not big enough when they start growing and I know this now due to the size of my Regal Tang that I’ve had since I started and you can see the size of him on my build thread.

If you like the E260 then go for it as you will love it and it will make a stunning addition to your home.

PS. Hell, just get a Max S 650 and be done with it !!lol

Pat24601

I’ve owned the Max E 260 until I upgraded (after 2 months!) to the Max S 650.

The E260 is a beautiful looking system and all self contained and does what’s is supposed to do. It’s beautifully made so you would be more than happy with it.

But....

What I would actually do, if you can afford it and fit it into your home, is look at the entry level Max S 400 which is only slightly bigger but it’s worlds apart in terms of equipment, skimmer, cleaning etc., and more importantly ease of use. There is simply no comparison in terms of use once you get into the hobby. There are also the Reefers but I prefer self contained (no wires, pumps showing etc).

The S Series are all compact and self contained so no wires hanging everywhere, and you can also upgrade any of the equipment easily if and when you progress in the hobby. This would be a lot more difficult with the E260 due to its design.

In the E260 everything is packed into the rear chamber very tightly and as such it’s just more difficult to clean, maintain and the square black filter sponges crammed in the back drove me mad pulling them out. But then filter socks now drive me mad so..!

If your thinking Tangs the E260 is not big enough when they start growing and I know this now due to the size of my Regal Tang that I’ve had since I started and you can see the size of him on my build thread.

If you like the E260 then go for it as you will love it and it will make a stunning addition to your home.

PS. Hell, just get a Max S 650 and be done with it !!lol

Neither here nor there for the original posters purpose, but I looked at the S-400 and it was like 5 inches too big for the space I have set aside for an aquarium. The 250 barely fits. Otherwise I may well have done that.

The thing that does slow me down on a bigger tank, aside from that, is water changes. Right now I change 20 gallons of water every 1-2 weeks. I’ve toyed with changing less, but my experience is that strategy has really helped me maintain a healthy tank.

I’m assuming that with a 400, I’d probably want to go 30 or 35 gallons every 1-2 weeks.

In the abstract, that doesn’t seem like a lot. But, lugging all of that water around is the single biggest detractor to me even keeping a saltwater tank. It gets really annoying.

I’m not sure how you folks with larger tanks do it, but I’d definitely need a different system than lugging around 5 gallons jugs to keep up with a bigger tank. It’s just too annoying!

BTW, I know my water changes are considered very large, but they’ve worked well for me so I’m not inclined to change it.

Pancho75

Well, I believe each one of us is enjoying its tank but at least for me larger is better. Of course it means more work and more cost.

I do 20% water changes once a month, means five water jugs, it is very manageable.