Red Sea 130D mechanical filter & carbon options?

duganderson

I'm considering buying a used Red Sea 130D. I'd like to use floss or something else for a simple, easy to clean mechanical filter.

I've heard the stock location for the mechanical filter is a pain to clean because it's under the pumps. Is there another location or option for a mechanical filter that is easy if your using the stock skimmer?

Also, what's a good option for the stock tank for a media bag with carbon & GFO?

Can you add the Steve's media basket with the stock skimmer?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Can you add the Steve's media basket with the stock skimmer?

No

Most in the RSM Club running stock run Red Sea's stock setup for media filtration - works well. The black course sponge (cut in 1/2 height) under the skimmer grate in the back, with a square of the finer white/blue on top of this. Very easy to pull & rinse a couple times a week, just take to sink, rinse under tap water, shake dry & replace.

As for chemical filtration stock, checkout this post - it's how I ran my stock RSM 130D a $5 media rack & cpe (chemi-pure-elite (GFO & carbon mix) & purigen ) changing it every 3 months, getting in the back left is really simple, takes 2 minutes to pull the nozzles from the pumps & replace them, not a big deal, especially just to replace your chemical filtration.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44439-glenns-rsm-130d-24.html#post782512

Be sure to start a tank thread & share your tank with us :dance:

rhogeo

I run Stevie's Media rack with an AquaMaxx hang-on-back skimmer. Filter floss in the top of rack, ChemiPure Elite in second section and Purigen in the bottom.

RsmJoe130

I have the Red Sea filter sponges. One of my friends with a different nano suggested using Poly-Fil. I like it better because I do not need to rinse it out every few days. I can see how dirty it really is. Plus I am worried that there might be chlorimines left on the sponges. I picked it up at the local sewing store or you can order online. I am only going by what a fellow reefer I trusted recommended to me. Please if someone has something negative to say let me know. I can always go back to using the the factory sponges.

Godly3vil

The factory sponges are a nitrate factory, much better using filter floss which you just replace as needed.