Red or Pink Algae

Jetmart

Tank is 6 weeks old and all parameters are great. Had some diatom & green algae that the CUC took care of.
Now just starting to see some pink or red algae on the profile of the sand bed just where it touches the glass. There is none on the surface of the sand. Any ideas?

frisbee

For a tank that's only 6 weeks old, Cyanobacteria came to mind first. Can you describe what your seeing a little?

Biohazard

When I bought my Liverock from a LFS it was from a established tank and unknown to me at the time some of the rock
had Cyno on it and when I put the rock in my tank it went crazy. I used a turkey baster and a fine net to remove as much as I could.
within a week it was showing up again. so I used Chemiclean and it got rid of it and hasn't returned. didn't bother any of the coral or inverts either.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Cyanobacteria is my guess also. Here's a read about it:
http://kb.marinedepot.com/article.aspx?id=11162 (Offsite link)
I've delt with cyanobacteria a couple of times now...I had best results treating with Chemi-clean.
Followed directions EXACTLY as directed & had no noticed bad side effects.
It is best to understand and FIX what the causing problem is however. Mine was lack of water flow.
I added powerheads to my refugium making sure all areas had good water movement.
I resisted the use of Chemi-Clean for a long time but I don't regret using it.
Opinions on use of "chemicals" greatly varies...just so understand that! :yup:
If you go the Chemi-Clean route: FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS.

Susan987

I agree with Mike Johnson. Try to manually remove as much as you can by vacuuming your sand really well. Do frequent water changes and make sure your lighting is limited (most people say 8 hrs a day or less) and increasing your flow.

How big is your tank?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cyanobacteria is pretty common in almost everyone's tank from time to time, it's usually associated with over feeding in mine, it not really hurting anything, and can be defeated pretty easily by feeding less, vacuuming sand, increasing flow & decreasing your light cycle for a few days.