Red COOL critter on LR

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well last night while simply "scoping over the tank" I noticed what (at least at first glance) appeared to be a tiny baby "Flame Scallop".
p-79193-scallop.jpg

I had one of these for well over a year but it's been "Expired" now for almost as long. Nothing new has been added to this tank in months and now all of a sudden I have this new little critter showing up... under closer inspection it's probably like some type of Barnicle or baby Feather Duster or something and not a "Scallop/Clam" at all..... but I've never seen whatever it is...

IMG_6080.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

Anyone have any accurate ideas what it is? I'd love to get closer/better pics but it's so small that's about as good as they get. It's roughly the size of a B-B or just a hair larger but NOT the size of say a garden Pea.....

:ofr:

blue_eyes53813

Does it have a tube or like an actual shell covering Al? I can see one side has an orange outer covering but its hard to tell from the pictures... Ive had some pretty wild and colorful feather dusters pop out of the live rock the last few years.. Pretty cool looking

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Vicki I honestly don't know.... I think I'm seeing it just about for the first time too. I didn't even look at these pics last night when I was taking them... I had to hold the camera way low and crook it around at an angle to get the pics.... When I get home this evening I'll try and get a better eye-ball on it and see... I honestly THOUGHT it was flat on the rock until I uploaded the pics today.... I'm as un-helpful as can be aren't I ? LOL!!

Thanks for stopping in :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I never could get it to retract last night... well I didn't stick anything INTO the tank or try to touch it but you can bet your aspirin I will tonight :)

ReefGuy69

I have a similiar bright red feather duster. It only comes out when the actinics are the only lights on though and mine is skittish. it will retract as soon as it sees my shadow. It does look similar to a flame scallip but the alignement of the feathers are so circular i am betting its a feather duster like mine. They are cool looking.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wouldn't mind it being a feather duster and LOTS of it's brothers & sisters in there too :)

framerguy

It sure is pretty no matter what it is. I also think it is one of the many many varieties of worms.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It retracts into some type of "hole/pit/shell" in the rock. No real "stalk/shaft" when it's retracted (forgot camera AT work)

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
That is a Serpulid feather duster fan worm :) It lives like a Christmas Tree worm you see in Porites and has a calcium carbonate tube.

Kind like this one

2176966329_00aabed869.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Boomer I think you're SPOT on there buddy (like there was ANY doubt about you being right). Upon closer examination I do believe that's exactly what it is.

Now for the question.... can I frag it? LOL!! Just kidding .....

Thanks for EVERYONE'S input!

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wonder if it tastes like chicken though :D

(in a silly mood today so LOOK OUT WORLD)

nikkipigtails

I had a sudden appearance of a LOT of tiny red feather dusters in my tank that look just like that. Their tubes aren't as long as the other micro dusters but they're definately feather dusters.