Red Bugs

Friday24

So found out yesterday that i've got red bugs....the common solution I have been finding on threads on this forum and a few others is the use of Interceptor. The problem is that I can't find it for sale anywhere online or locally. What other options are there for getting rid of them? Do they only attack specific species of sps? So far they managed to take down about a 3-4 inch birdsnest in a couple days! I have considered getting a Dragon face pipefish...but finding those locally is a pain as well, buy possible. Any help would be great...thanks

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Interceptor works. I'd keep looking for it. I think the other treatment is to remove all acros from the tank. Treat then outside the tank and starve those left in the display. It's a real pita.

Must find interceptor! Too bad you weren't closer!

Choff

I have not used it myself, but have read about people using Bayer Advanced (Purchased at Home Depot or Lowes). I'll PM you a link

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Interceptor is readily available from any vetrinarian as a heartworm preventative. Not sure what formulation it has to come in to use for the tank, though.

Friday24

So will they only go after the acro's, or will they go after the monti's too?

Wife has called vets around us and she's being told that Interceptor isn't available at all for the next 3-4 months....supposedly it's not being produced right now...

reefer gladness

From everything I've read they only go after acro's, monti's have their own pests though. There's a guy a few miles south from me that has an outdoor SPS frag tank to die for. He's got a pretty good write up about SPS pests and treatments on his webpage. Garrett's Acropolis

It's true Sentinel went out of production earlier this year but they're getting it back into production though I haven't seen a specific ETA. Novartis Animal Health US, Inc.

Friday24

so if i can manage to get all the acro into a qt tank and treat in that how long will it take for the red bugs left in the dt to starve? or how long is their life cycle?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Interceptor is not being produced until 2013 from what I understand. You need to find someone with it (I've got a bunch). Look locally. Not sure on the life time but I wanna say 4 weeks.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The stuff I get for my dogs is good for 6 months, I buy it biannually. The duration of protection is 4 weeks. I'd post on Craig's List in the wanted section, I'm sure someone locally has some that buys it bulk like myself. I didn't know about the delay, I'm due to get a new batch in January. My vet asked me if I needed some in October when I was there, should've gone ahead and purchased while they had it. I might call and see if they have any on Monday. If you'd like to wait that long, I'd be happy to send some to you if it's available.

yankieman

My vet said the factory was being modernized or rebuilt or something along those lines and they arnt making any right now , I think she said next year sometime ,, and that was back in July,,,