Recommendations for 24in T5 lights.

lcstorc

Well, I went with the Finnex. Went through the options with Frank and that was the one he thought was the best value.
He even let me buy one for the 90.
Not sure when it will be here since it is shipping ground, but I will let you guys know.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
The Finnex look very interesting. Interested in how they perform.

Just went with the ATI 4 bulb for my 90. And they do make a 24" fixture too. Little higher, but best quality out there.

I can't wait to see your fixture

lcstorc

It is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday but I may not get it installed until the weekend. It all depends on how easy the swap is since the one tank is my bluespot tank and I will have to fully cover any openings when I change the light.

lcstorc

Ok, well first I have to admit I am an idiot.
I did what hubby usually does and made an assumption. I assumed since the bulbs I had were the same size as the fixture. Well you know what they say about assuming. The tank is actually 30in so the lovely 24in fixture I just bought doesn't fit. :(
Meanwhile I did get the Finnex 48in unit for the 90 and OMG! I'll admit I don't have that much experience with T5 lighting but these are so much better I can hardly believe it. Now I knew my lighting was low and not the best (2 bulb Nova Extreme) but this blows my socks off. It is bright as day in the tank now. And the LEDs add a great shimmer. In fact this light has more shimmer than I had with my MH.
Seems to be quality but only time will tell. I do know it is a much heavier/sturdier fixture than many I have seen.
I like the way it sits on the tank as well. It was super easy to do a temp bluespot top and a permanent one will only take a bit of time this weekend.
I'll put up pics over the weekend but meanwhile I need to shop for a 30in unit (Finnex doesn't seem to have one or I would do that in a heartbeat.)
So far though, I absolutely love the one on the 90.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
BTW I was going to ask you how you liked the Finnex today

They don't make 30" T5. just 24 and 36 so using that fixture will have the same bulbs as a 30" model.

lcstorc

I think we are going to come up with something for the 24in Finnex. I looked around last night and there really isn't much out there in 30in and I really like the one on the 90.
Hubby is an engineer. We should be able to figure something out. Plus we already have it. Anything else would have to be an exchange.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They don't make 30" T5. just 24 and 36 so using that fixture will have the same bulbs as a 30" model.
Yeah this is a common problem with those
in between" size tanks. Catalina makes a 30" fixture but as CF noted they are still only using the 24" (24W) bulbs. Much better than nothing or even an inferior PC bulb but man what a heartache it would be to "think" you're getting 30" bulbs and see all that wasted space.

Lynn I'm sure Frank can make it happen. He's "Da Man" for that job for sure. Just don't get in his way and break anything :D

lcstorc

I know better AL. I just fetch tools.
(For anyone who doesn't know me, I am seriously accident prone and should not be trusted with anything sharp or electrical or in any way dangerous.

Rhodes19

Meanwhile I did get the Finnex 48in unit for the 90 and OMG! I'll admit I don't have that much experience with T5 lighting but these are so much better I can hardly believe it. Now I knew my lighting was low and not the best (2 bulb Nova Extreme) but this blows my socks off. It is bright as day in the tank now. And the LEDs add a great shimmer. In fact this light has more shimmer than I had with my MH.
Seems to be quality but only time will tell. I do know it is a much heavier/sturdier fixture than many I have seen.
I like the way it sits on the tank as well. It was super easy to do a temp bluespot top and a permanent one will only take a bit of time this weekend.
I'll put up pics over the weekend but meanwhile I need to shop for a 30in unit (Finnex doesn't seem to have one or I would do that in a heartbeat.)
So far though, I absolutely love the one on the 90.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would these lights work well for a tank 24" deep or would MHs be better for this depth. Eventually, I want a mix of softies, lps, and sps.

Any pics? :)

lcstorc

The 90 is 25in deep but the light is still too young for me to say anything certain. Mine is a softie tank so I am sure it will be more than enough. I would be suprised if LPS had a problem but I am not an SPS person so I really can't say.
What I can say is that we got the light put on the 20g today and it looks fabulous. Frank got a bit creative but it looks really good.
So far I am loving these lights.
Time will tell how they hold up, but so far I am impressed.

Rhodes19

The 90 is 25in deep but the light is still too young for me to say anything certain. Mine is a softie tank so I am sure it will be more than enough. I would be suprised if LPS had a problem but I am not an SPS person so I really can't say.
What I can say is that we got the light put on the 20g today and it looks fabulous. Frank got a bit creative but it looks really good.
So far I am loving these lights.
Time will tell how they hold up, but so far I am impressed.

Thank Lynn. I'll be waiting to hear how it goes. Any pics yet of the new light on the tank?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would these lights work well for a tank 24" deep or would MHs be better for this depth. Eventually, I want a mix of softies, lps, and sps.

Any pics? :)

T5s can certainly work for a 24" deep tank. Aqauctinics and ATO reflectors can reach 30" easily, TEK and Icecap can do 24". I don't know about Finnex; it is a new fixture and I have not read anywhere what sort of reflective coating they use. It is quite possible that they can. I was looking at this fixture for my 30 gallon tank and have been following Lynns experience closely.

I am using an ATI Sunpower on my 90, a Sunpower. Don't think the Powermodule is worth the extra bucks.