Recommend a phosphate reactor please

godzen

I have a RSM250, running at stock so no sump. I want to buy a phosphate reactor to deal with algae problem. I've read several people recommending TLF phospan 150 but I'd rather pay a little more for better quality. The 150s I hear can leak. I'm looking at the NextReef MR1.. It comes as a complete kit. Can this be made to work with the RSM250? Can i use the RSM accessories hookup for chiller to make this work? Right now, I still don't know how to hookup the accessories as it is brand new and still in box. If this reactor doesn't work, what do you guys recommend?

tnwillia

I've used 4 TLF 150s as single units and in series with out a leak, one of it's nice features is the built in HOB ability that works well with the 250. Accessory port connections are 5/8", no idea your hose size. Good luck with the NextReef and write a review of it please if you have time, I don't recall seeing anyone using that reactor! Have fun with it!

PSBoston

I have the BRS deluxe one and it is great. I had mine installed in the stand and it was easy to do. The old version maxi jet they recommend is loud though, they have a newer version.

godzen

I have the BRS deluxe one and it is great. I had mine installed in the stand and it was easy to do. The old version maxi jet they recommend is loud though, they have a newer version.

you had this installed on your 130D? How did you go about doing it? I assume you're running it externally and not in sump as I don't have one...

PSBoston

I was was running it externally in the ram cabinet. I drilled two screws into the back of the cabinet and hung the unit on them. I placed the pump in the back chamber of the RSM (around the middle right after my skimmer) and feed the hose out the chiller return and then fed the return tub back through chiller and snaked into the column with the return pumps. Worked well, usually after about 2-3 weeks it would clog up (I was running carbon and GFO), that meant time to change the carbon since it doesn't last as long.

Unfortunately I don't have many pics, but this will give you an idea. You may need an extra elbow joint or two to make it around the corners.
IMG_0094.jpg

steved13

PREMIUM
I have used the TLF with no issues, but I have to confess the "soft elbows" made me nervous, but never gave me a problem. I use Reef Octopus for both ( 1 GAC, 1 bio pellets) of my reactors now. A local LFS carry's the NextReef (I think it's made not too far from here) I haven't used it, but it looks well made.

artpics

The Next Reef MR1 is great. filled with 3 quarters of a pound of carbon and some phosgaurd.

just plugged mine in for a test on the 130D with a eheim 600 (160GPH) before i move it to my new tank.

even people with a 130D should run this reactor and put the return in the back chamber the skimmer runs really well with a stable water height

Mr1 next reef - YouTube

sig.php

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great Vid - I have never owned a reactor, but wanted to point out one thing I have read several times, you don't want to "over tumble gfo" as it can break down & kill some corals.

I am sure some that run them can advise... but you want to get the flow "right"

This Vid above... looks perfect to me :dance: in how it tumbles... maybe Steve & others can confirm & advise more on this caution... Cheers !

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 I've always heard you'll pulverize GFO and GAC if it tumbles. I've heard the proper flow described as just "dancing" a little bit on the top.

godzen

So I finally went with the NextReef MR1 complete reactor. This is my very first reactor so I don't have many experience with other brands. However, sometimes, you just know quality when you see one and this is it. Good ol "made in the usa"...I didn't want to spend too much time with placement since I don't plan on using this forever, just until phosphate is under control. I used the included bracket to hang it at the lip of the timer on my RSM250. Obviously, the cover for the timer have to be up for this to work but it still looks great. My tank is still cycling with new and cured rocks so I'm sure phosphate is still leeching, especially from the pukani purchased at BRS. I was going to buy the BRS reactor during their recent group buy at the beginning of the month but I've also read many "clogged up stories" regarding that reactor. Even their latest model clogs. This reactor works absolutely wonderfully. The included pump is perfect for what this does (160gph). Super super quiet and provide enough power to tumble the media gently. The 4ft of tubing that came with the reactor will not be enough for folks that want to place this inside their cabinet. Tubing is great though because it's so flexible. Reactor comes with everything need including teflon tape, plastic clamps and extra accessories. I'm so glad I spent the extra $10-15 on this instead of the BRS reactor or the TLF

p.s. I need help with tubing placement. The pump sits above the Right RSM pump chamber and pump the water into the reactor. Where should I place the tube for the return water? should I run the water back into the middle sump chamber? That's where it is at right now but I'm afraid that may not be the best spot as some of the return water will flow back into the right chamber and get suck back into the reactor again. Any ideas?
DSC_0142Copy.jpg

PSBoston

That looks pretty sweet! Does the base on the bottom allow you to place it on the floor? With the new sump, I can't have my BRS in the cabinet anymore. I was thinking about mounting it to the wall. How do you remove the media?

godzen

That looks pretty sweet! Does the base on the bottom allow you to place it on the floor? With the new sump, I can't have my BRS in the cabinet anymore. I was thinking about mounting it to the wall. How do you remove the media?

Yes, bottom can sit on any flat surface. It's just easier for me to hook this with the included bracket as my cabinet is full. The top comes off by unscrewing the 6 buttons on top. This unit is very solid. No worry about leaks at all. Best of all, it's quiet and perform as should right out the box.

again, I'm looking for someone who may answer my above question. Is it okay for me to put the return tubing inside the middle sump compartment? The reactor pump sit in the right compartment, right above the original max 250 smaller pump

PSBoston

Not sure what tubing you have, but on my BRS one I had the maxi jet pump in the middle and then feed the return line back through the chiller hole and into the return pump compartment. I slide the tube down the back, but I changed out the pumps to the eheims 600. Can't recall i there is room behind the stock ones.

godzen

Not sure what tubing you have, but on my BRS one I had the maxi jet pump in the middle and then feed the return line back through the chiller hole and into the return pump compartment. I slide the tube down the back, but I changed out the pumps to the eheims 600. Can't recall i there is room behind the stock ones.

You're able to fit the maxi jet pump for the reactor below the skimmer? Is this the compartment you have it in? I didn't think a pump would fit in there. If it does, I can do something like that and have my return line come back through the accessories kit hole

PSBoston

I was running the turboflotor 500 skimmer, never used the stock skimmer and I had room. It may not fit with the stock one since that one is larger.

Also, like the beginning of the discussion. BRS recommends this maxi jet and my thought is it is way too much flow since you don't want to the GFO to grind. I had mine in the cabinet and only had it open 1/4 of the way at most. I have the two little eheim 600s as returns, they are nice and small so one may work well and fit somewhere since you aren't running a long distance. Just a thought.