Receding Scoly

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My Scolymia continues to look better....Happy to share it's progress!
Top pic taken in April
Bottom pic taken today 8-13-2013
image.jpg
null_zps74e2f1f0.jpg

NOW THIS makes me believe they can come back from near death :thumbup:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
image.jpg

I'm proud of the Scoly for fighting back. :thumbup: and I think it's has a BABY or something going on....took more pictures of it yesterday evening & last night after lights out.
I really thought the die back from the skeleton had caused a deformity but NOW, I'm thinking it reproduced.
See what you think in these pictures: (all taken within a few hours time)
null_zps39172282.jpg
image.jpg
null_zpsa5b1ea6a.jpg

null_zps4e869357.jpg

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Great job once again Diana~! Now you have to name both of them :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I guess the "deformity" has little feeding tentacles. :ponder2:
I guess I need to read up on if this happens successfully or not....don't know what to expect here. :dunno:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
As I read back over this tread....The picture in post #7 already shows this baby (?) bump and that picture was taken the day I posted it. So maybe it did start a new Scoly growing on the skeleton when it died back so far.
If it's been growing (and I haven't been feeding it!) for 2 months & hasn't died yet, maybe it will live. :dunno:
Sorry for all the posts, I'm kinda AMAZED with this right now.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It's been almost another month & my PRIDE & JOY SCOLYMIA continues to fill back out & amaze me :D
So I told the LFS to be on the look out for me ANOTHER SCOLY. The one they got in wasn't really the color that I ask for but I think I'm just in L:heart:VE with Scolymia Corals so NOW I HAVE TWO (maybe 3 if ya count the recoveries baby). Here they are this evening:
null_zps001687cd.jpg

image.jpg

I don't think my new one will ever outshine my 1st but I like 'em BOTH :D

Last edited:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I love it, now I'll have to get an orange and green one for me. Gotta keep up with the Jones.

PS. Would you mind letting us move this thread to the general coral thread. Not everyone lurks on the RSM forum, and I think a lot of peeps can get inspired by these comeback stories.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I love it, now I'll have to get an orange and green one for me. Gotta keep up with the Jones.

PS. Would you mind letting us move this thread to the general coral thread. Not everyone lurks on the RSM forum, and I think a lot of peeps can get inspired by these comeback stories.
Moving the thread would be a great idea John...PLEASE DO.
I think you should start a like thread for your Scolymia also....I'm ready to see another picture of t already :D
I want one the color of yours, so someday if I find one....I might have 3. That says lots for how amazing they are to keep because before I got the one I started this thread for, I would have NEVER CONSIDERED BUYING ONE.
:snshne: Scolys are AMAZING! :snshne:

That's awesome that you were able to save such a great looking coral! I had a very similar incident happen to me over the last 8 weeks. About 2 months ago I bought one and it was great for about 2-3 weeks. One day I noticed it was receding and the next day it was pretty much just a skeleton. Someone said to leave it and see what happens. That's what I did and now it's recovered and bigger than before. It looked dead for about a month and then over the last two weeks it's regrown.
a8e6ybe5.jpg
vade3yru.jpg
qu6ygeja.jpg

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
New picture taken TODAY....Compare to the 1st post in this thread :D
My Scolymia has come a very long way back to healthy & pretty from near death:
b15a9034438040d36a1236f03d7221e7_zpsd8dc4a64.jpg
[/IMG]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well done! It takes a long time for one to completely heal.

Thanks Mike! I like to look back at the pictures on this thread.
The deformity looking lump turned out to be a baby bump :D
I think it's still under there but I don't know for sure. Don't know how or what it eats if it is. :ponder2:
Maybe it eats pods happen to crawl over after the lights go out :fishy:
I know my other Scoly ate a good size Stomatella Snail that got too close cause I saw it spit out the 1/2 shell.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Been a couple more months & I think we can say: FULL RECOVERY :yehoo:
283e0718925ecf0cc83f264e072e3b12_zps476f0782.jpg

I never get to see the baby to take a picture but strangely enough, it's still under there :cool:

thedru13

Diana... Great work. Maybe you could help me out. This just started to happen to mine yesterday. I have no clue why. What did you do to reverse it.. Any help would be great pic for reference.