Rebirth of a 110 Gallon Mixed Reef

Anselth

Well, about a year ago my 110 Gallon system crashed suddenly, leaving me sad and discouraged. My 70 Gallon Reef continued chugging along, doing fairly well, but I didn't feel like adding any new fish to it and really just kept up the status quo. I didn't break the 110 down, however. A couple of reasons for this: I didn't have anywhere to stow it in my apartment, and as long as I kept water flowing, fed the snails that were still in there, and topped off the water every week or so, the live rock would maintain it's biological capacity.

Last month I was finally able to purchase a house, and moved the 110 down into the basement. I set up a 100 gallon skimmer/return rubbermaid tub and a 70 gallon tub to serve as a fuge, and tied the tank back into it. Once the parameters equalized, I transferred the live rock and livestock from the 70 at the apartment to the 110 on Saturday. There's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 pounds of live rock in the system right now, along with 100+ pounds of a mixture of aragonite sand, live rock rubble, and crushed coral. During the move I got rid of the majority of both of the old sandbeds, but kept a few cupfuls of sand from each to seed the new bed. So far, everything seems to be doing well, along with the snails and corals, I have a sea cucumber, and my bicolor blenny and coral beauty angel from the 70.

Right now I don't have internet access at the hous, but here's a photo of the new setup. Quality isn't the best, but you can get a rough idea:

(Clickable thumbnail)

I promise to take and upload better photos once I can access the internet from my home computer.

jpsika08

The tank is looking great, glad you could mount it again, good luck, hope to see more updates soon.

Anselth

So far, so good. Everyone seems to have adapted well to their new home and nothing is leaking, thankfully. I've got a temmporary setup operating my auto topoff and have reworked some coral placements and added new residents, including a sizeable new CUC. I'll do a major update a bit later this weekend, with real pictures and everything.

Anselth

The setup of the tank is pretty straightforward. It's a non-drilled Oceanic 110 gallon tank with a dual tube lifereef overflow. The overflow feeds through the wall to two rubbermaid tubs, a 70 gallon and a 100 gallon, which act as the sump and refugium. I'll grab some photos of the filtration system setup later on, once I get the area straightened out some, I have parts from my 50, 70, and old 110 sytem littered around the fish room as I try to get everything in the house put away and tidied up.

Lighting is provided by two 250 watt metal halides with two 46" T-5 actinic lights. I currently run the actinics for 14 hours, and the halides for 6. This was originally for heat control in the apartment, but I haven't seen a reason to change it, as all of the corals are responding pretty well to the light regimen thus far.

The tank is a mixed reef, with LPS, mostly Euphyllia spp., but with one Caulastrea head that's trying to come back. My Blastomussa is the only coral that didn't make it through the transition. I also have a Montipora, some Zoanthus spp, a few shrooms, a leather, and a frag of a gorgonian of some sort.

Fish currently consist of a bicolor blenny (Ecsenius bicolor), a Coral Beauty Angel (Centropyge bispinosa), a female Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia), and a Blue-Spotted Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti). The Wrasse and Angel will school sometimes, and follow Sarah and I around the tank begging for food. The Jawfish has moved three times in as many days, I gave him a few handfuls of live rock rubble today to see if that will help him settle down.

Full Tank Shot

Frogspawn

Red 'Shrooms

Hammer

Torch

Zoa Garden

Leather

Turbinaria

Blenny

Jawfish

Anselth

Um, yeah. So. A year later!

Been doing a lot of work around the house itself and around work, so I didn't add much, well, anything, to the tank for almost a year. Over the past few months I've been battling a pretty bad cyano outbreak. I increased the frequency of my water changes and have tweaked my flow setup and seem to have it on the ropes now. Even so, I see a Vortec powerhead in the near future. Just not pleased with the flow patterns I'm getting with regular powerheads.

This is a view of my fish room. The overflow comes through the wall under the basement stairs and feeds the sump and the fuge. The blue container between the two hubs houses my topoff water.

One of the aquacontroller strips hangs on the wall, providing power for the return, the skimmer, the auto topoff, and the phosban/carbon reactors. We ran a brand new 20 amp circuit to provide power to the tank, as our electrical service was questionably set up, and the last thing I wanted was for a breaker to trip when we weren't home. You can see the ATO controller hanging to the left of the little shelf where the main aquacontroller panel is under the stairs. I've run internet cabling to the room, but have to attach the patch plug before I can plug the controller into my router, which is upstairs in the office.

A shot of my skimmer. Right now I'm running my old Octopus (I can't even remember the model anymore). It's plenty for the bioload I have now, but I am planning to upgrade in the near future. I had to build a stand for it as the water level is way too high in the new setup, and think not having it running for several months may have contributed to the cyano problem. Although with only three fish at the time and minimal feedings, I think my waterflow issues are more likely to blame.

Refugium, with the balance of my live rock, as well as my phosphate and carbon reactors. I'm trying to figure out a different way to place them, but the setup works for now.

I now have the RO/DI filter hanging on the wall in the laundry room, saddled into the cold water for the laundry sink. I need to run the output up into the rafters somehow, rather than across the floor, though.

Full tank shot. You can still see the cyano in the tank, although it is much, much better than before. Unfortunately, the sheets did a number on my turbinaria and Zoa colonies, although the zoas are bouncing back and the turbinaria seems to have stopped declining.

I finally found a place the frogspawn seems to like. The heads have gotten more rounded, they had flattened out before.

One of our newest residents, Gramma loreto. I have also added a horned blenny, but he wasn't feeling photogenic.

When the 110 crashed back at the apartment, this guy was one of the only survivors. No new heads yeat, but it is looking very healthy now.

I cannot get this guy to stay in one place. His current burrow is up against the front glass of the tank.

The Christmas Wrasse has gotten quite large from when she moved in.

Our Coral Beauty Angel is the last fish from the apartment.

Anselth

Um, yeah. So. A year later!

Been doing a lot of work around the house itself and around work, so I didn't add much, well, anything, to the tank for almost a year. Over the past few months I've been battling a pretty bad cyano outbreak. I increased the frequency of my water changes and have tweaked my flow setup and seem to have it on the ropes now. Even so, I see a Vortec powerhead in the near future. Just not pleased with the flow patterns I'm getting with regular powerheads.

This is a view of my fish room. The overflow comes through the wall under the basement stairs and feeds the sump and the fuge. The blue container between the two hubs houses my topoff water.

One of the aquacontroller strips hangs on the wall, providing power for the return, the skimmer, the auto topoff, and the phosban/carbon reactors. We ran a brand new 20 amp circuit to provide power to the tank, as our electrical service was questionably set up, and the last thing I wanted was for a breaker to trip when we weren't home. You can see the ATO controller hanging to the left of the little shelf where the main aquacontroller panel is under the stairs. I've run internet cabling to the room, but have to attach the patch plug before I can plug the controller into my router, which is upstairs in the office.

A shot of my skimmer. Right now I'm running my old Octopus (I can't even remember the model anymore). It's plenty for the bioload I have now, but I am planning to upgrade in the near future. I had to build a stand for it as the water level is way too high in the new setup, and think not having it running for several months may have contributed to the cyano problem. Although with only three fish at the time and minimal feedings, I think my waterflow issues are more likely to blame.

Refugium, with the balance of my live rock, as well as my phosphate and carbon reactors. I'm trying to figure out a different way to place them, but the setup works for now.

I now have the RO/DI filter hanging on the wall in the laundry room, saddled into the cold water for the laundry sink. I need to run the output up into the rafters somehow, rather than across the floor, though.

Full tank shot. You can still see the cyano in the tank, although it is much, much better than before. Unfortunately, the sheets did a number on my turbinaria and Zoa colonies, although the zoas are bouncing back and the turbinaria seems to have stopped declining.

I finally found a place the frogspawn seems to like. The heads have gotten more rounded, they had flattened out before.

One of our newest residents, Gramma loreto. I have also added a horned blenny, but he wasn't feeling photogenic.

When the 110 crashed back at the apartment, this guy was one of the only survivors. No new heads yeat, but it is looking very healthy now.

I cannot get this guy to stay in one place. His current burrow is up against the front glass of the tank.

The Christmas Wrasse has gotten quite large from when she moved in.

Our Coral Beauty Angel is the last fish from the apartment.

Anselth

Things gontinue to improve in the tank. I rearranged the rockwork and corals, redirected some of the flow, and stocked the cleanup crew back up. A few small patches of cyano, but its mostly gone. Everyone is doing well, although the blenny took some exception to the new snails.

Also have a few projects in the works - holders for the reactors and a removable basket for chaeto. Should get to those this weekend.

Anselth

So a little bit more about the setup and maintenance.

My DT drains using a lifereef dual drain HOB Overflow. The drain lines pass through the wall and feed a 100 gallon sump and 70 gallon refugium, one drain per container. I've daisy chained three phosban reactors together, two running phosban and one with carbon. These get changed out every other water change.

Heating is through three 250 watt heaters in the sump on an aquacontroller. Temperature is maintained right around 78 degrees. Tank lighting is two 250 watt halides and two t5 actinics. I'm currently using 14k bulbs (just switched from 10k ushios and really like the difference) in the halides and H2O 75-25 actinic bulbs in the t5 fixtures. I'll take some new photos with the lighting this weekend.

Right now, I'm not running any lights over my fuge, but am planning to build a basket holder for macro that will sit in the outflow from the fuge to the return. Should keep the cheato tumbling a bit.

I do about a 60 gallon water change every two weeks. I'll post my parameters after this weekend's.

Anselth

So, in order to improve flow and break up the cyano in the tank, I rearranged the rockwork in the display. I think it looks a lot better and has a lot more depth:

IMG_7934.jpg

Current Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:10
Calcium: 440
Alkalinity: 8 dka
Magnesium: 1040
pH: 8.15
temp: 78.0

The nitrates rebounded after my last water change as i cleaned a lot of the detritus off the live rock in the sump and I'm sure I didn't remove it all.

Ordered some frags from PEA, they came in Saturday morning and are looking pretty good:

IMG_7944.jpg

Xenia spp

IMG_7942.jpg

Acropora spp

IMG_7941.jpg

Seriatopora spp
IMG_7940.jpg

Porites spp

IMG_7936.jpg

Cyphastrea spp

IMG_7935.jpg

Blastomussa wellsi

IMG_7937.jpg

Nice close up of Hadrian (II)

IMG_7939.jpg

This guy came from reefcleaners earlier this week.

And I've been seeing some astrea stars around the tank, more and more often. It's weird, because It's only started in the last month or so, and I haven't put any new rock into the tank in a year. It's hard to tell, but the second one is about a quarter inch across.
IMG_7929.jpg

IMG_7933.jpg

Anselth

Horned Blenny was hiding when I was taking photos earlier, but here he (Hern the Hunter) is:

IMG_7946.jpg

Hypsoblennius exstochilus

Anselth

Thanks. Got my first SPS corals since the crash in there now. Looking at dosing iron and aminos to help them out, but need to research that more first.

BLADEYAMAHA

Man this is just great, everything looks awesome, it really gets my hopes high for my goals for the rebirth of my 80 gallon system. I've actually done research on the amino acid supplements and a lot of reviews say its a waste of money because the corals can't absorb the amino acids directly, instead they are actually kind of broken down to waste basically then used by the corals, they just feed more through a wasteful way and it is my understanding it increases your tanks bio load. More waste.

Anselth

Thanks! Randy Holmes-Farley's article says he doesn't think you can overdose iron, but I'm obviously going to test it first. Aminos seemed iffy to me, but figured it can't hurt to research. Might just go with Borneman's mash once they get a bit bigger.

Anselth

OK, I've had these guys before, and I know their proclivity for stealing frags, but, really?

IMG_7947.jpg

That's two heads worth of hammer coral there. Sorry for the quality, he's behind the rockwork and there wasn't a lot of room for the photo.

Think this qualifies as a symbiotic relationship??

edit: yes, he's actually carrying that. And that's only skewed about 45 degrees from actual pitch.

Anselth

Six years later, and a lot has changed. I switched over to Hydras for lighting and really like them. The hammer and the gorgonian have grown like weeds. I've only recently begun adding corals again, and feel like the results are good. Had an outbreak of a fleshy algae that I can't quite eradicate, but it's been beaten back and isn't growing anymore.
89a68c224ae7543ee7372145a5050bcf.jpg
58a81ab388fc403b17c9fdb9ef90f985.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk