Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

MarvinsReef

I think you need to start another list for the cull ones.. :)

it's a shame to see 'em go.. I'm glad you decided to find them a good home instead... :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Okay..this little fella's name is now Lucky :D

CULL #1
200808133TOBECULLED.jpg

BigJay

Just get a mantis that way your just supporting the natural food chain and you won't be doing the killing.

sandyc

Lucky is adorable. I am glad he got his death sentence commuted! I don't think I could off the little guy either. Glad there is a good solution.:bluenod:

Last edited:
Wow, A lot has happened since I last saw this thread. My email alerts haven't been coming. Darn Y! mail. Just as well, I would be deeply saddened by culling. Woodstock, I will gladly take any fish that are not up-to-par for sale. As an animal rights supporter, I think every animal should have its right to live. I don't agree with Joyce. I don't even think Joyce agreed with herself. She says to cull but she couldn't do it. Ulitimately, I think its a matter of doing whats right. You have to ask, is that fish in pain? No. Can it survive? Yes.

I live by one motto.

"Nature gives. Nature takes."

Furthermore, I would hypothesize that these defects would not be passed on to their offspring if they were ever raised since most defects are not hereditary and are mere flukes that cannot be passed down. My friend has two maroons that have overbites that lay eggs and I have not see one fry come out of his house with the same defect. My two maroons have overbites as well. I await the time where i get to test my theory.

lcstorc

We love rescue fish. The fish are the only animals in the house that aren't rescues from somewhere so why not fish.

RyanG

Im going to play the devils advocate and same cull it. Why risk passing on bad genes? IMO its your RESPONSABILITY to cull. Sorry Im sure this isnt going to be a popular point of view.

SeaMunky

I have to disagree...Why not give it a home..I mean for real, not everyone is out to breed them...It takes alot of work to breed these fish, and not many have the time or patience,or the funds to do so ,so finding a home that isnt gonna use it for reproduction wont be hard..plus, we dont beleive in culling our own children, so who are we to decide to kill any species because of a defect??..
Just my 2 cents, not a personal attack :)

Helfrichs Chick

^ I was just thinking the same. This thread rocks.
Its always amazing to me the time and effort people put into their reefs let alone raising baby clowns! Whats the total of babies you have as of now??
I used to breed dart frogs and had over 200 tads and frog-lets at one time, it was nuts and I would think the clowns are even more challenging with water chemestry and the feeding.

Great job on this and some of those babies patterns are looking REALLLLLY cool!! Cant wait for Chops to have a grade A man LOL!! :D

sandyc

Im going to play the devils advocate and same cull it. Why risk passing on bad genes? IMO its your RESPONSABILITY to cull. Sorry Im sure this isnt going to be a popular point of view.

Here is a slightly different view on responsibility. If the breeder has found the fish a good home then I believe the responsibility of the breeder ends. It is now the responsibility of the new owner not to breed it.:jabber:Just my opinion. I have my very first batch of baby clowns. I will not cull any that have a minor defect when a suitable home can be found.

:threadjack:How is the 10 tank set up coming? I would love to see an updated photo.

kinghokus420

Here is a slightly different view on responsibility. If the breeder has found the fish a good home then I believe the responsibility of the breeder ends. It is now the responsibility of the new owner not to breed it.:jabber:Just my opinion. I have my very first batch of baby clowns. I will not cull any that have a minor defect when a suitable home can be found.

along those same lines, when we found our boxer we signed an agreement that we would not breed her because she was white and not of the breed standard. bACK IN THE DAY (oops) the white ones were culled as being defective, with mine, she's a bit strange but certainly not defective. the breeders solutions to culling were to offer them at a greatly reduced cost. i dont know if thats standard, its just what we went through. she's a phenomenal dog for my family, her personality fits us well.

DSCN1935.jpg