RBTA feature - Rose Anemone tribute thread

cbrownfish

This is definitely one of my favorite creatures in the reefing world. Kind of a dirty pleasure considering that they aren't exactly a coral's best friend. :) I wanted to post a few new pics of my RBTA's and a few old ones.

Who else has RBTA's? Post some pics if you got 'em!

This is a shot from the end of the tank. The top RBTA is about 9-10" wide and the bottom one is 12-13" wide when fully expanded. I FINALLY busted up my huge purple rimmed cap colony and gave them some more room. :D

rbtafromend.jpg

rbtaclose.jpg

rbtaclosest.jpg

rbtagsm.jpg

rbtagsm2.jpg

One of the clones that went to a local reef keeper --

rbta.jpg

3264887782_893ef413cb_o.jpg

3264887466_5ebc354b54_o.jpg

3264063003_12db77996c_o.jpg

3234818423_ff1730c393_o.jpg

Gyr

I picked up my RBTA last May. It was about 3-4 inches in diameter when I first got it. I was lucky in that my clown fish hosted it immediately and is very good about feeding it the mysis shrimp I add to the tank almost daily. A few months ago I also started feeding the RBTA pieces of silversides directly. It has grown well, and darkened up some since I started the silversides.
I do have a question; How big do these guys get? My tank is pretty small at 55 gallons and I'd estimate my RBTA is now 10-12 inches across when fully expanded. In the interest of future SPS placement, is there an upper limit to the RBTA's size, or do they just keep growing?
Now on to the photos:

RBTA shortly after adding it to my tank, 5/09 (it was shy and anchored to the back of my rock work):
rose3.jpg

RBTA after I figured out how to get it to expand to the front of the rockwork, 7/09. First a FTS, then a close up:
FTS_6_28_09.jpg

Rosie_Nemo.jpg

RBTA today
PC140071.JPG

I sure do love my RBTA/clown fish...favorite things in my tank.

Kurt

seafansar

They get pretty big! lol. Yours grew insanely fast Kurt! I remember when you first posted a picture of it when you got it. Do you feed that thing a whole fish every day or something?! lol.

Here're some pics of mine.

Itty bitty 1.5" babies...who now are about 5" across.
P7140236.jpg

Clownfish heaven! The female could never decide which she wanted to be in.
P9100943.jpg

P8230684.jpg

P8230691.jpg

P7250397.jpg

And my dad's rose. I have one of it's clones plus my other two (clones from a different rose).
PC141530.jpg

And yes it was stinging that SPS. We put a shell between them and so far the anemone has been good and not tried to lean over the shell and sting the acro more. Not sure what we're going to do when it gets closer to that scroll coral. It stings the scroll coral pretty bad.

Gyr

Sara, I like that 'family' of RBTAs in your tank. The clowns and nems interacting like that create a nice natural effect.
I feed my RBTA 1/3 - 1/2 of a silverside about once a week. It was growing pretty fast even before I started doing that (the clown really is a bit obsessive about feeding his buddy--shoots out and steals food from bigger fish when I feed my tank), but now it is growing crazy fast. I couldn't be happier.
I am hoping it will split one of these days as I really like its color (it is one of the brightest/richest reds I've seen, and has been since the day I first saw it in the LFS). I am also thinking if I can sell the clone I'd be able to talk my wife into letting me upgrade to a bigger tank...See that, Honey? I could actually MAKE money if I only had enough reef space to raise more livestock.

seafansar

I am also thinking if I can sell the clone I'd be able to talk my wife into letting me upgrade to a bigger tank...See that, Honey? I could actually MAKE money if I only had enough reef space to raise more livestock.

:LOL:

cbrownfish

In my tank, they typically split when they reach ~12 inches. I have read about anemones that are 2-3 feet in diameter in the wild. Ironically, the smaller of the 2, which was 10-11", split the other day. I finally had to reclaim some real estate and removed the 2 splitters. :) Now I only have "the beast" 13-14" monster in my 90. Man, my female GSM was PISSED!!!!! :D

Rhodes19

I am also thinking if I can sell the clone I'd be able to talk my wife into letting me upgrade to a bigger tank...See that, Honey? I could actually MAKE money if I only had enough reef space to raise more livestock.

It could happen. It worked 3 times for me before my wife caught on to what I was really doing!!! :D