Ray identification

Octoman

Re: ray idenify

Looks like an Atlantic or maybe a Sharpnose stingray to me.

A. Stingrays don't bite people, they sting them. The chance of them stinging is good if you irritate or scare them and they have a stinger. Zoos and aquariums that have them in touch tanks have trimmed the stinger - it doesn't hurt them to do this, its like trimming a fingernail and it grows back.

B. I don't agree that digging them out of the sand is "gentle" contact. If its hiding, it is probably stressed and doesn't want to be dug up.

C. IMO stingrays are not appropriate for aquariums less than several 1000 gallons. Atlantic stingrays can reach 2 feet long (not counting the tail) and need a large amount of swimming area. The ones in the tank are all babies and will grow very quickly.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
This looks like an unscrupulous LFS owner or employee that is trying to make this species appear docile and "cool" so that they can sell them. This is one of those species that should be left in the ocean except for the largest systems, public and research.

Jeremy0322

You need a HUGE system to hold one of these properly, otherwise you might as well just buy it and shoot it, it would be quicker and less painful for it.

x17x11x

i just read that a bunch of stingrays only require 120 gallons and them ones in the video are way smaller so i would like to look into them.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Josh don't even kid yourself. These animals aren't good pets at all. They require VERY large systems and very advanced care. They look VERY cool but really need to be left in the oceans.

x17x11x

your right i know. but i notice that alot of things i joined the hobby for are really not possible, i wanted a ray, jellyfish, eel (which i got one :happywalk ) octopus! shark sea hoarses i really wanted an exotic tank. so when i get my house i want to have a rediculusly huge aquarium that i can put what ever i want in, like one that i can swim in haha. and i really dont care how much it costs!

sambrinar

your right i know. but i notice that alot of things i joined the hobby for are really not possible, i wanted a ray, jellyfish, eel (which i got one :happywalk ) octopus! shark sea hoarses i really wanted an exotic tank. so when i get my house i want to have a rediculusly huge aquarium that i can put what ever i want in, like one that i can swim in haha. and i really dont care how much it costs!

Good luck with that,,, and post picts :LOL:

x17x11x

haha im going to be an opthamologist in 8 more years so hopefully. i planned it out on paper and all i wanted to do it in my house but my mom wont let me. its going to me 4 stories tall and goes from basement to roof and is seen from all floors. itl probably cost me 20 grand or so

Jeremy0322

Im right there with you x17x11x, we ALL want a system big enough to swim in. But at this point i couldnt afford the water changes on something like that let alone the installation, and dont even get me thinking about the lighting costs :tears: :tears: :tears:

x17x11x

i was wondering that how would i do the lights i would the power of the sun so possibly making a glass window above the tank. i dont know