quick question

knapp870

Those are absolutely strong enough for corals. Have been thinking about snagging 2 for my 55 gallon myself. They would definitely work for what you are wanting to keep, however i believe they are usually used for a 24" coverage, so it may be a little dark on the sides.

fishguy4

Those are absolutely strong enough for corals. Have been thinking about snagging 2 for my 55 gallon myself. They would definitely work for what you are wanting to keep, however i believe they are usually used for a 24" coverage, so it may be a little dark on the sides.

Yes they are ok for medium to low light requirement corals. and ya the tank prob will have some dark spots on the side. i personally like a 4 bulb T5 fixture because it doesnt get hot and it can support like 95% of corals out there

quicklynx

Yes they are ok for medium to low light requirement corals. and ya the tank prob will have some dark spots on the side. i personally like a 4 bulb T5 fixture because it doesnt get hot and it can support like 95% of corals out there

That's what I have now is the 4 light T5s that cover the entire tank. I thought the LEDs didn't get hot. I'm under the impression that the MHs are the killer when it comes to heat.

fishguy4

well if i were you i would keep your t5s if you arent satisfied with them currently you could buy some more powerful bulbs but they really are the best option. who makes your fixture?

quicklynx

well if i were you i would keep your t5s if you arent satisfied with them currently you could buy some more powerful bulbs but they really are the best option. who makes your fixture?

It's made by Solarmax. High Output 48" fixture with LED moon lights.

fishguy4

ok so i personally use coralife because they have good fans but really yours sounds fine and like i said if u really want to make it bright talk to your lfs about a brighter T5. And my personal favorite blend is either 2 blues and 2 whites or 3 blues and 1 white, depending on how blue u like the water

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
OK I went from t5s to.leds. I used to evaporate 6 gallons a day n now I evap 6 gallons a day. 0 change.

........what, me worry?

quicklynx

ok so i personally use coralife because they have good fans but really yours sounds fine and like i said if u really want to make it bright talk to your lfs about a brighter T5. And my personal favorite blend is either 2 blues and 2 whites or 3 blues and 1 white, depending on how blue u like the water

Right now it's 2 white and 2 blues. I thought the blues were mainly for aesthetics and coralline? I thought the whites were more important for growth.

OK I went from t5s to.leds. I used to evaporate 6 gallons a day n now I evap 6 gallons a day. 0 change.

........what, me worry?

Good to know. Unless I have some spare change lying around I won't think I need to upgrade since it seems like T5s and LEDs have minor differences.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I do like the gradual transition from daylight to night n vice versa. But growth was better under t5s except for montis.

........what, me worry?

quicklynx

I do like the gradual transition from daylight to night n vice versa. But growth was better under t5s except for montis.

........what, me worry?

That's what I've been hearing. Growth is important to me. I want massive basketball sized corals!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What's needed here is some clarification on a couple of issues:

Right now it's 2 white and 2 blues. I thought the blues were mainly for aesthetics and coralline? I thought the whites were more important for growth.

That's not true at all really. There are some high quality "Blue" tubes that put out a BOAT load of PAR and can promote some amazing growth. It also depends on the specific coral. Some coral are "designed" to utilize more blue light than others because they come from deeper waters. White light is a combination of ALL light colors at once. Many coral aren't capable of utilizing the Red and similar spectrum of colors because those are the ones filtered out by the water first so anything from deeper water may not be able to use those colors.

It really comes down to the individual bulb specs rather than a general "color" especially when we're talking T5's.

Good to know. Unless I have some spare change lying around I won't think I need to upgrade since it seems like T5s and LEDs have minor differences.
They have MAJOR differences but it's really hard to compare ALL T5's with ALL LED! It also is hard to compare because most of us running LED are running them in such a way we can control the COLOR of the tank which could be affecting growth as well. Take my RSM130D tank. I'm running it in a more "BLUE" configuration simply because that's the look that pleases ME the most. By doing this I'm not running all of my LED at PEAK power so in essence I'm selling my coral short on growth in order to achieve the LOOK I want.

Now keep in mind saying "That's what I've been hearing. Growth is important to me. I want massive basketball sized corals!!! " has it's own set of problems. Many of us want that at least initially but the fact of the matter if you can get too much of a good thing. A huge "blah/drab" looking coral may not be as eye pleasing as a small to medium colony that has spectacular colors. There is a lot more to lights than just picking a single color and going with it. Not all coral like all light.

:)

quicklynx

That's not true at all really. There are some high quality "Blue" tubes that put out a BOAT load of PAR and can promote some amazing growth. It also depends on the specific coral. Some coral are "designed" to utilize more blue light than others because they come from deeper waters. White light is a combination of ALL light colors at once. Many coral aren't capable of utilizing the Red and similar spectrum of colors because those are the ones filtered out by the water first so anything from deeper water may not be able to use those colors.

It really comes down to the individual bulb specs rather than a general "color" especially when we're talking T5's.

They have MAJOR differences but it's really hard to compare ALL T5's with ALL LED! It also is hard to compare because most of us running LED are running them in such a way we can control the COLOR of the tank which could be affecting growth as well. Take my RSM130D tank. I'm running it in a more "BLUE" configuration simply because that's the look that pleases ME the most. By doing this I'm not running all of my LED at PEAK power so in essence I'm selling my coral short on growth in order to achieve the LOOK I want.

Now keep in mind saying "That's what I've been hearing. Growth is important to me. I want massive basketball sized corals!!! " has it's own set of problems. Many of us want that at least initially but the fact of the matter if you can get too much of a good thing. A huge "blah/drab" looking coral may not be as eye pleasing as a small to medium colony that has spectacular colors. There is a lot more to lights than just picking a single color and going with it. Not all coral like all light.

:)

Thanks for the clarification!! You are right about the basketball sized coral, but I'm just picturing in my head this Sun Coral I saw in a LFS tank that was as big as a basketball. It did look pretty awesome. If I wanted a sun coral, luckily, I wouldn't even need to worry about light really.