Quick question about replacing TEK T5HO bulbs

Ntruder

So I know you're supposed to replace your T5HO bulbs every year or so... Yeah well mine are probably 3 years old minimum. Needless to say, I've got a serious algae problem that has gotten progressively worse over the past year. I'm attributing it to the lights, and figure that's the first thing I should target, since nothing else has changed except a decrease in fish population that hasn't been replenished, and less feeding.

Anyway, I'm going to finally break down and buy the stupid bulbs... Should I attempt to acclimate the corals to the new bulbs? I've got about 2 square feet of torch coral (literally), and a couple other LPS's and some mushrooms...

That's really all I need to know. Should I replace one bulb every couple days? Or can I just do them all at once?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
YES acclimate! Always ALWAYS light acclimate!

I like the idea of using "Window Screen" to create a light filtering media so that the new bulbs are slowly introduced to the tank. I'd say 3-4 layers will do the trick and remove a layer each week. Otherwise you'll likely lose a lot of coral to Light Shock.

Lee

YES acclimate! Always ALWAYS light acclimate!

I like the idea of using "Window Screen" to create a light filtering media so that the new bulbs are slowly introduced to the tank. I'd say 3-4 layers will do the trick and remove a layer each week. Otherwise you'll likely lose a lot of coral to Light Shock.

Thanks! I did the screen method when I upgraded from a power compact fluorescent fixture to the T5-HO's, but wasn't sure if how the light output was affected when simply replacing bulbs...

I think I'm just going to change out 1 bulb each week.

BigJay

Thanks! I did the screen method when I upgraded from a power compact fluorescent fixture to the T5-HO's, but wasn't sure if how the light output was affected when simply replacing bulbs...

I think I'm just going to change out 1 bulb each week.

being that they are that old it should be a considerable difference in both quantity and quality. Personally I think the year mark can be over reaching for some T5 bulbs especially higher kelvin and actinics.