quick question about adding my new fish

kyle4201

I have a few new fish im my quarantine tank and next week I'll be adding them to my main tank. I always usea couple of damsels in my corn teen tank 1st when I add new fish to check the water and everything is good. well I'm doing something right because the damsels all seem to be living and II did not want anymore of them in my main tank so I decided to go with a clownfish to test my water before I added my new expensive angelfish. I have a rather good sized clown fish in my main tank right now. When adding the small clownfish, is there a certain way to do it without the larger clown killing it? Also, if I do have a new fish die in my main tank, do I have to rip apart my rocks to get it out or can i just leave it and let the crabs and clean up crew, clean it up.?

Mike Johnson

In my tank a fish could die and it would not be noticed except the fish being gone. If my olive didn't just outright grab it and pull it under the sand, the crabs and other crustaceans and sand fauna would eat it. The bacteria would reduce it to a skeleton in less than 24 hours.

It's a good idea to take anything dead out of the tank, but a mature tank should be able to handle the death of all but the largest fish.

FishTaleZ

My anenome grabbed my goby last night and spit some of him out. My cuc went to work and there are a couple of bones left this morning. Grossed me out, but this sea life. "to the victor belong the spoils".

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Kyle, once you set up your ATS, you won't need to worry about ammonia, nitrites or nitrates ever again:)

Get moving, chop, chop! LOL

Also keep us posted if the canary makes it out alive. LOL

Choff

Hey Kyle, With 2 clowns that are not a mated pair there is always a strong risk that one is going to get harassed. I don't know if it works for clowns, but I know other territorial fish can someones be pacified when introducing a new fish by doing a rescape to reset boundaries. Clowns typically more more territorial as they age. I have known folks to put more than 1 clown in their tanks as juveniles and have no trouble for quite some time, but then as they mature the trouble begins. If the new gets excessively harassed for more than few days it's a good bet it's not going stop and one will have to go or your last question will come into play.

landshark

Kyle i would get a clown that is the same size or bigger, less chance of fighting, when i replace one of my clown I got a bigger one then what I had in the DT and within two days no more fighting. Also putting the fish in at night works for me.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I just saw the mirror trick work in my kids tank....they used one out of a make-up compact case & taped it to the outside of the tank facing in. Worth a try Kyle!

Last edited: