Questions about Red Sea Max S-650

bhbbhb

I am new to this forum - I have a S-650 that I has been up for about 6 months. I do have a few issues and hope to get some advice here. I am not sure yet on how best to search for the subject - but I need help figuring out exactly how to set the control valve. I have read some stuff online - but still have a couple of issues. In the manual it talks about - when the level is set correctly you should not see the water line from the front of the tank. However, if I follow the instructions above and set the valve so that the water is 3/4 inch lower than the backup overflow opening - the water in the front of the tank is about 1/2 inch below the front trim. If you set the water flow so that it lines up with the top line increment on the sight glass (as also suggested in the manual) - the water is also too low from the front of the tank.
My other concern - it seems the adjustment valve has about 4 complete turns from fully open to fully closed. When completely open the water flows very quickly and makes lots of noise , for me it takes almost 3 1/2 turns from open to closed to stop the noise and bring the water level up high enough to not been seen from the front of the tank. At this level the water in the rear collection cup is full and just about at the level where it will start to flow into the higher "overflow" pipe. Does that seem correct ? And am I getting enough flow from the tank into the sump with the valve closed that much? It seems to me that the flow is too low and that it is not forcing all floating particles into the sump to be filtered. ANy thoughts suggestions or comments from folks experienced with this tank would be greatly appreciated.
Bruce

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS! Start a tank thread so we can follow your journey!! :swmfish:

I'm sure some of the S-series folks will be able to help you out.

Nob35

I keep mine about 1/4"to 1/8" below the emergency overflow and I cannot see the water line from the front of the tank. As for the flow to sump, I believe you are getting enough flow unless you have the valve closed enough to make the water go into the emergency overflow.
As for floating particals it is hard to get all of it in the sump as the circulation pumps will suck the up and spit them out into the tank. The longer the tank is running with clean filter the more will make its way to the sump.
Hope this helps some.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Bruce, can you confirm please that you have all 4 internal flow pumps running whilst attempting to adjust the weir flow valve?

The weir drain valve by design is very sensitive as it is of a diaphragm design, it is perfectly normal for this valve to be only slightly open.

To set the return flow is an easy operation, with all flow pumps running simply look over the top of the aquarium into the weir, the water level difference ideally is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower in the weir box that the overflow level.

When then checking this in the weir sight indicator on the right hand side the level will be 1 notch down from the top.

Attachments

• Weir level.png
    Weir level.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 34

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)