Question about water storage.

tbittner

Could you even just keep the water in the freezer? Put a timer on the freezer and adjust the timer so it keeps the water around 78 degrees?

Or drill holes in the freezer and run coils of pvc pipe through it and circulate the water through it....

BobBursek

Useing a freezer or frig with coils in it does not work, hundreds have tried for a DIY chiller, they is a thread dedicated to it on Reef Central. Now useing it as a tank to cool the water would but how effecient is another question.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Could you even just keep the water in the freezer? Put a timer on the freezer and adjust the timer so it keeps the water around 78 degrees?

Or drill holes in the freezer and run coils of pvc pipe through it and circulate the water through it....

I know some lfs that keep feeder fish like that, but I think Lynn wants ro/di and mixed

tbittner

Sounds like building an enclosure would be the best thing to do. Add in either a vent from your house air conditioning or install a window air conditioner. Could you just insulate your garage and cool the whole garage? Wouldn't it be nice to get into a nice, cool car? :D

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Useing a freezer or frig with coils in it does not work, hundreds have tried for a DIY chiller, they is a thread dedicated to it on Reef Central. Now useing it as a tank to cool the water would but how effecient is another question.

Bob, your now trying to breed rabbits and chickens, this isnt meant as a chiller for a tank, its for storing water for future tank use, if I put a 5 gallon pail of water in my normal freezer and come back tomorrow? I have a block of ice, making the unit work LESS efficiently would be the key, fortunately Lynns husband IS a rocket scientist and should be able to work this out

lcstorc

ROFL. Yes he is a rocket scientist but that means his plans are usually very complex.
I'm not sure I get the freezer idea thoug. The containers are 65 gallons each and I don't want them too cold. The tanks stay around 78-80 degrees so that would be the prefered temp. I guess the fresh water wouldn't be much of an issue but the salted water I wanted to use directly for water changes so I need it close to the tank temp. So far I am liking the insulated area with an AC vent but I'm not sure what he will say when he gets home.
I'll let him read all responses and see what he says.
I wouldn't say money is not an object but the tanks alone were aboit $300 dollars so a few more isn't going to scare him.

BobBursek

Lynn,
I assumed Tbittner's suggestion about the freezer on a timer to keep it at 78* was useing it as a tank to store the water and keep it cool. How did your other major disaster turn out on your tank water params a few weeks ago? Did you ever find the cause?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I "think" I| understand and a fridge unit CAN be used as a chiller. I think it was ScubaDrew who has the plans/ideas and it should be very feasible.

I still think a "Rigid Foam" enclosure is your quickest and also probably least expensive solution. Creating an insulated garage would be AWESOME but the most expensive one.

:)

BobBursek

Lynn,
one more thought, like are hot tubs up north here, put the tanks on 2" dense pink foam insulation, I do not know there shapes, are these Rubbermaid stock tanks? Insulate the sides, wrap fiberglass imsulation around them, use 2" dense foam isulation for covers, and 2 chillers to cool them. The down side, the cost of the chillers, and they will not be real effient useing that hot garage air to cool their freon. But if the chillers could be in the house, and piped to the tanks would be better, but then the house AC has to cool the heat from the chillers. There is nothing in this world that puts cold into the atmosphere just heat, an earth week tip of trivia. I have a Bacholar's in ME. My mentor in this hobby is an Electrical Eng, never read instructions, screws up more stuff and I have to bail him out, like his Vortech PH, $800.00 broke, he never read all of the mounting instructions with the pin placement.

lcstorc

The containers are water storage containers from the tractor supply. They are pretty much cylindrical but with a flat area on the bottom so they don't roll. I believe he is planning to build some kind of shelf so they are not right on top of each other. I'm not sure what you call them but they are not rubbermade tubs and are almost enclosed except a fitting at the bottom and a screw off lid at the top. I believe he plans on drilling at least one more hole but I forget why.
The chillers are not really and option since we are in the process of doing the reverse and running our existing chiller from the garage into the house since it produces so much heat.
So far I am leaning towards some sort of foam enclosure with an AC vent going into it. Of course hubby knows none of this so far so keep the ideas coming.

BobBursek

Big Al,
I could not find the thread on Reef Central on it but according to many over there who tried to use a frig for a chiller it does not work, and if they get it to it is not as electrical effective as a chiller. Now I am not saying someone has not figured it out, but for an efficient heat exchange the tubing in the frig should have aluminum fins for more surface area to dissipate the heat, just throwing in a bunch of plastic tubing in there is not going to do much. I had the thought of putting in 50' of 1/4 tubing in my sump to warm up my water for my RO/Di supply, I have 2 300watt heaters in there, an hour later they are one and tank temp is down 4*. That subject has been discuss on RC many times to. It does not work without an efficient type of heat exchanger.