question about feeding my new open brain

rDr4g0n

i gots me a pretty lil trachyphillia a week ago. hes acclimated quite well and extends to a nice sized blob of flourescent pinkish reddish orangish. overall id say its health is just fine. the only thing is that at night it does not extend its feeding polyps. i was planning to feed it shrimp every 2 weeks, but seeing as its polyps arent extending i dont think thats possible...

water quality is fine, and my other corals are healthy. the open brain is placed in an area of moderate flow, on the sandbed.

so the question is, is the polyps not extending normal? does it take time for the coral to feel comfortable enough to extend its feeding polyps?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It could be pouting.

I would try adding something like Cyclopeeze to the tank and waiting about 15 minutes to see if that entices feeding.

Good to see you around.

Allen :)

rDr4g0n

It could be pouting.

I would try adding something like Cyclopeeze to the tank and waiting about 15 minutes to see if that entices feeding.

Good to see you around.

Allen :)

ya i poke my head in once in a while. the problem is posting here seems to directly correlate to me spending too much money on my tank lol

Techno-Vicki

If you feed your tank regularly with a mixture (DT's, Cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, rotifers, or other small zoaplankton) a couple of them for different coral needs, and your brains will love you. I wouldn't worry about the polyps extending at this point. Just make sure your water quality is good, salinity is stable, and your calcium/magnisium/alkalinity is on, the tank has moderate flow and lighting and it should do well.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hey Johnny!! where you at? I find them quite slow reacting, squirt a bit at them and wait 5 minutes, then try feeding, you might try posting some stickits on the tank with highbrow math formula's to stimulate the appetite.Steve

goldenmean

My open Brian rarely show his feeder tentacles however he is a good eater.
If i put a piece of calamari or shrimp on him he will engulf it. I always thought my trachyphillia was strange cuz his feeder dont come out a lot but I have had him for over 1 1/2 years now. They are photsynthetic too - they host Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae so they get nutrients that way too.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I product I sell & suggest Reef Nutriion Artic Pods & Rottifeats Great producyts for target feeding corals

rDr4g0n

well my local petco is going outta business and they are having a massive sale, so ill see what sort of food i can get while im there. oh and i spoke too soon. i woke up this morning (before the lights come on) and he has his polyps extended lol figures.

hey sasquatch. i tried math, but he doesnt dig it too much. i think hes more of a chemistry brain.

michael_cb_125

My Lobo Brain, Exrends his tenticles all the time, at first he did not, but now he has them extended most of the day and night. Even if I stir the sand he opens. Try krill, mine goes crazy for those little things.