Question about calcium

SeaLover

can you dose with a calcium builder twice in one day?

I am trying to get my calcium up. Can you dose with a calcium builder 2 times in 1 day? Or will that be over kill? Thanks!

SeaLover

Re: can you dose with a calcium builder twice in one day?

011.jpg

Here is a pic of the stuff the lfs sold to us to help boost our calcium

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
No, do not add that crap to your tank. Get one of the things I posted and bring this back. The last thing you need now is a bunch of powdered Aragontie floating around in your tank and giving you false Alk or Calcium levels.

SeaLover

Ok I just found the kent turbo calcium in the fosters smith magazine. Should I get the powder or liquid? Or does it matter? I am taking the brightwell back to the lfs.

Boomer

Re: can you dose with a calcium builder twice in one day?

See other post :)

On dosage you can raise it safely 50 ppm / day. So, it will take you ~ 4 days.

It is best to use this. Let us know if you have any problems using it

The Calcium one for now
Reef Chemistry Calculator

Ex :

Tank is 100 gals NET WATER NOT SIZE OF TANK. This is the total water there is, tank, sump etc.

Ca =150

Ca = 425 Desired / wanted or target

Ca = Using Kent Turbo Calcium taken from drop down menue

= 36.8 tsp..level tsp, no heaping ones, to riase it form 250 to 425 ppm

36.8 tsp / 4 days to raise it 50 ppm / day. We will say 37 tsp

9 1/4 tsp / day. Just go with 9 / day and retest on 4 day before adding any more and then adjust if more is needed. This may NOT be the same for you

SeaLover

Ok I just ordered the kents turbo calc from fosters and smith will be here 4 to 7 days. So is the brightwell part a and b for after you have hit ur target calcium? What is the purpose of a and b?

Boomer

So is the brightwell part a and b for after you have hit ur target calcium? What is the purpose of a and b?

Yes, this is what you use once the Calcium and alk are where they are suppose to be. One is a Calcium sup and one is a Alk sup. Usually you use them in equal proportions / instructions. Lets say your Calcium is 425, well the Alk should be 9 dKH but is 8. Add the Alk part till it is 9 and the add each after that in equal prortions. This is suppse to keep both at or near the same level but often does not and one has to adjust one or the other with A or B. You will have to figure out how much to add by figuring out what the daily Alk and Calcium demands is. Meaning, how much they drop each day by testing and then add each day or every two days to get back to the level of 425 and 9. Once you know where you are at after say 3 daily tests, to get an avg, then test once a week. But each day or every two days you add the sups. If one becomnes higher than it is suppose to be just stop dosing that part say for a day or two.

SeaLover

Recieved my new lights and Kent calcium finally. I have used the Kents for 2 days now and the calcium is almost at 300! Finally!

BobBursek

I did not read all the replys, have to get into work early 5am, so I do not know if anyone said this, if your Mg is low it is hard to get Ca up and keep it up. I noticed in your early replys you have no Mg test results.

SeaLover

Redosed today and the calc is a little over 300 ppm. It coming up finally!!! Everything in my tank seems to be thriving well since the new bulbs and calc coming up it seems!

SeaLover

My KH value in dkh was 7.4 and alkalinity was 2.63. Should I use the part B to buffer the water to bring it up to 8?

BLAKEJOHN

The dKH should be between 8-12 or alk between 2.5-5 meq/l. I would aim for a dKH of around 10 or ALK around 3.5 meq/l.