Quentin and Shell's JBJ 28

QuentinB

Sorry for neglecting everybody... I'll try to catch up on everything here, and if I get time later tonight I'll try getting some pics up.

Chuckie is gone. Don't ask me how, or why, because I have no idea. Tweedledee, our last peppermint shrimp, died as well. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but dang.

Our blood fire shrimp and pistol shrimp (Pierre and Fiskeboller) are doing great... I still don't understand how they are alive and well, but nothing else is???

Over Fourth of July weekend I ordered an oversized CUC from John at ReefCleaners! Again, amazing service! So it's been about a week since we've gotten them, and we've noticed quite the improvement! I also added the "penny macro algae" and requested he bring me back a souvenir(part of his 4th weekend sale), so between the two I've got what I'm fairly certain is Halimeda and "Merman's Shaving Brush". Both have already shown growth! The shaving brush even has a new shoot growing! I also got some Cheato, which seems to be growing as well.

Sooo, I'm thinking... Maybe we'll give a clownfish a go next time, since they're a hardier fish... I feel like we're starting all over, after almost a year in...

catran

Q, sorry to hear about Chuckie and Tweedledee :(

I've been very busy too, so I understand about neglecting threads. How's the tank looking and the HA?

Sent from my iPhone

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Sorry about your losses Quentin. It can be very frustrating when we don't know the causes.

QuentinB

Thanks guys. I'm guessing Tweedledee was just a victim of shrimp warfare, Pierre was always pretty hostile towards him. As for Chuckie, I have no clue. Stupid tank of death.

Cat, I never did get pics taken, but the HA is looking better. I know I keep saying that - it seems to oscillate, more, then less... But it truly does seem to be trending down! However, most of the HA that's left is covered in cyano, so that's not exactly good either... Hopefully once the HA is taken care of, the cyano will be phased out as well. And if all else fails, we'll add more snails :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Quentin - hot up there in ND? I think it's been hotter there than here the last few days, but we're getting back to unbearable now. Do you think any of your losses were due to the tank getting too warm?

Robzilla

You could dose vodka to get rid of the cyno too!

Yes this is a popular method but only if you have a good skimmer to pull stuff out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quentin - hot up there in ND? I think it's been hotter there than here the last few days, but we're getting back to unbearable now. Do you think any of your losses were due to the tank getting too warm?

+1 Temp is one of the most overlooked params.

You can also check out JJmoneyman's recent posts. He did a 50/50 saltwater/peroxide dip and had amazing success.

QuentinB

Thanks Cat! I might look into Vodka dosing here sometime, for now I'll stick to H2O2 I guess.

Yup Terry, it's hot, humid, and I'm loving it! Inside, though, we've got central air in our apartment, and it's actually set to 71-73 or so. The hallways and general building temp is set even lower, so if our apartment gets much warmer than 75 it feels insanely humid. Anyway, the tank hold 78 fairly consistantly, so I don't think that's a bother.

Thanks Rob, I've considered doing some dips, but there's only a couple rocks that would be feasible to take out... Last resort for sure though :D

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to hear the tank temp. isn't an issue. Enjoy the heat & humidity - if you run out of it I'll try to export some up there. :)

catran

I did a couple of frag dips with mixes results. One is doing good, the other still has the thatch of byropsis. maybe I should dip it again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Hi Guys! You are way overdue for some update photos!!?? Sorry to learn of your losses... bummer! We tried Vodka dosing and it didn't make the tank look any better but it sure gave me a headache in the morning!! (I just can't believe how incredible my sense of humour is!!) Is the over sized CUC helping? Update photos??

QuentinB

Dave, you knew how busy yesterday was for us, you expect updates?! :D When whiskey dosing becomes more popular, I'll be giving that a go! And yes, the CUC is helping IMMENSELY. Hopefully nothing goes wrong before we get back, because you guys will be amazed when you see it. There is very little living HA, and the dead stuff that Cyano had grown over? Easily blown off and siphoned, revealing bare rock yet again.

We're actually on vacation, for those of you who didn't figure it out. Visiting "Canada's South Coast"! We'll arrive there tomorrow, and have ourselves a great extended weekend, with all thanks due to some great friends of ours :D

glampka

Quentin, should have said something earlier - hope you brought passports or enhanced drivers' licenses to get back into the states. If not you may be staying on Canada's South Coast for longer than you bargained for - then again Dave could probably use some help on the farm.

catran

Wow Quentin, I'm glad to hear the HA is almost gone. My fingers are crossed in hopes it's completely gone soon!

ShellB

Hey Everyone!

whew, it's been awhile! Well since we've last been on we've traveled to Canada's South Coast, visited our families in the Midwest and spent some time working on our tanks. It's been a busy couple of months with school starting back up, internships and work. We are slowly starting to get into the swing of things!

Our fresh water fish are doing great, Ginger, Chuck, Captain Jack, Al (we finally named our last surviving convict), Mr. Pleco and Skid are all swimming happily and enjoying the view out our office window.

As far as our salt water fish go it looks like we've won the battle against the HA but lost one to cyano. Our tank is now covered in purple fuzzies that don't seem to want to go away. We're slowly working with water changes to try to get it to go away. Slowly but surely it's helping but soon we will be looking into better ways to get rid of the evil stuff. As far as I can tell our only livestock is Pierre, Fiske and a CUC. We've been talking about getting a couple clowns but we really want the tank to be ready before we introduce anything.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures soon! :)

catran

Glad to see you guys back. Hope you had a great time! I think it's that time of year, it seems everyone has a lot going on. Hope everything settles down for you. Glad the HA's gone too. You'll have the cyano clean in no time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk