QT, coral dips, Draggonetts, algea munchers and more questions.

kyle4201

HI all,, I was chatting on a different thread and thought this subject could use its own. I know there is a million threads about QT and the such, but there are a few things I was wondering about that the answer "QT EVERYTHING" just does not cover. I would like to hear from you all about different experiences in the different QT processes for the different animals.

1, Some fish cant handle Copper, like draggonetts, (Draggonetts cant get ICH is a myth, even if their skin cant their gills can) so how do you treat them, is HYPO the only method? what If my QT had copper in it already? does it leech into the silacone and that tank is done for corals forever? Also they eat only pods (most) and pods wont just "grow" in a QT,, so??? So what known fish should you not copper treat?

2, I understand to "dip" corals is a good thing, but why? what dose it kill? more importantly, what does it NOT kill? are some corals not meant to be dipped? its there a special dip for SPS?

3, Inverts like SEA HAIRS and other scum suckers, they only eat hair algae or the like, well, thats not in a QT, how would you go about this process?

4, Sand dwellers. I understand thet sand has no place in a QT, so how do you QT sand dwelling things for 2 or 3 weeks with out a deep sand bed? Gobbies, horse shoe crabs, sand shifting stars, ect.

5, Nems and such. What is the QT on nems and such?

6, My main question that I brought up earlier. If I used a tank for a copper QT,, is it on the "no coral or invert" list permanently ?

I know the answer to some of these, but I didnt know till some 1 told me on a different thread, so I thought Id get all my questions and answers in 1 place. If you dont have an answer I hope this thread will help you as much as it will help me.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!:read:

Mike Johnson

Too many questions for one post. BUZZ. Kyle, I would have to write a large book to answer all your questions. That sure is a lot of research.

To answer one of your questions. Yes you can clean a tank of copper, easily. Just wash it out with acid like muriatic or vinegar. It has a very low pH which eliminates the copper. Yes copper adsorbs into glass and silicone.

You don't just automatically treat every animal with some kind of medication. Look into the difference between a quarantine tank and a hospital tank. After dipping corals, if you want to be meticulous, put them in QT for over a week for observation. There is no known dip that kills eggs. There is one claiming to, but it hasn't been reviewed enough for my belief.

That's all for now - got to go to work.

reefle

we have the same brain. I was thinking the EXACT same things today on my way to work.

If I may add on something (sorry for hijacking!) What if I buy a coral, live rock, anemone, or anything nonfish from a store, online, or someone on craigslist. How do I know it doesn't carry ich or some terrible parasite. Do I have to let everything fallow in a QT for 8-9 weeks before I put it in my DT? What about other parasites that can live even longer without a fish to host (if there are any).

Obviously I can't observe corals or inverts for signs of ich, but it could still be there right?

kyle4201

Too many questions for one post. BUZZ. Kyle, I would have to write a large book to answer all your questions. That sure is a lot of research.

To answer one of your questions. Yes you can clean a tank of copper, easily. Just wash it out with acid like muriatic or vinegar. It has a very low pH which eliminates the copper. Yes copper adsorbs into glass and silicone.

You don't just automatically treat every animal with some kind of medication. Look into the difference between a quarantine tank and a hospital tank. After dipping corals, if you want to be meticulous, put them in QT for over a week for observation. There is no known dip that kills eggs. There is one claiming to, but it hasn't been reviewed enough for my belief.

That's all for now - got to go to work.

LOL Mike,, I wasnt wanting all the answers from 1 person (if I needed to know just 4 me Id just call The Queen Mike!! LOL). I figured it would be a good thread for every1 that would hit on these topics. :)

Mike Johnson

we have the same brain. I was thinking the EXACT same things today on my way to work.

If I may add on something (sorry for hijacking!) What if I buy a coral, live rock, anemone, or anything nonfish from a store, online, or someone on craigslist. How do I know it doesn't carry ich or some terrible parasite. Do I have to let everything fallow in a QT for 8-9 weeks before I put it in my DT? What about other parasites that can live even longer without a fish to host (if there are any).

Obviously I can't observe corals or inverts for signs of ich, but it could still be there right?

Well, I'll take the time to answer one more question. There is NO WAY I'd put a fish store rock in a tank with fish or my DT until it was quarantined for, say, 10 weeks.

When a coral is properly dipped and rinsed there's a .0001% chance of "ich or some terrible parasite" to stay on it. I'd carefully inspect it for eggs and keep it in QT for a week and observe just to be sure there isn't any eggs or aiptasia.

kyle4201

10week for a rock????? WOW,, (asking in a voice so you know Im just asking for info for others like a teachers assistant) Why is that Mike? Is that mainly for the ich to die as well as to see what critters r on it? ;)

reefle

My mandarin died 2 days after I copper QTed it. It was the same day as when I just finished setting up his hypo QT tank too.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My mandarin died 2 days after I copper QTed it. It was the same day as when I just finished setting up his hypo QT tank too.
Very sad to read, :( sorry for your loss reefle :(

I'd like for someone who knows WHAT CORALS should NOT be dipped to chime in with a list.
Kinda standard thinking, if you ask @the LFS, you might not get the correct answer.
Are there any other fish that should not be placed in copper treatment besides Dragonettes?
Does anyone have a list of corals that are "allergic" to being dipped, or are they all dip safe?
All I know for sure is my zoas seem to like the dip :D

Good thread Kyle...I hope we all learn something :thumbup: