PVC size vs. Pump GPH

reefle

Hi all,

Im starting a plumbing system for my new 125 tank.

currently I have a 2100 Rio pushing a stated 691gph and a 2500 Rio pushing 782 gph

I dont have too much space in my stand so I want to use the smallest pvc possible.

for the 2100rio I have around 5-6 feet of piping plus 2 elbows and a ball valve.
for the 2500 rio I have around 6-7 feet of piping plus 4 elbows and a ball valve.

my question is can I use a 1" PVC for these pumps with this setup without either burning out/overworking my pumps or putting too much pressure on the pvc pipes themselves?

I would rather not have to go 1.5" if I can safetly and efficiently use 1" pipes

my drain pipes are 1.5" but I figure those should always be bigger than the return pipes. I'm adding ball vavles to those as well if I need to regulate flow

Thanks all!!

reefer gladness

You can use 1" no problem. If you want to see the effect all the bends, rises, pipe diameter, etc. you can google 'aquarium head loss calculator' (sorry, I can't cross-link you there from RS).

I did a quick estimate and it looks like the Rio 2100 will be pushing about 440gph and the Rio 2500 about 540gph with the info you provided. Personally I'd want a little more than that in a 125g.

Snid

1" PVC can handle those flow rates easily, but keep in mind the following. The amount of rise will decrease the actual flow rate. Each elbow in the line will decrease the flow rate dramatically. This is why I tend to like using tubing rather than PVC whenever possible, as it creates a more direct line form point A to point B with minimal flow restriction.

Here's a chart indicating how much pressure each size PVC pipe can handle

PVCPipeFlowRates.jpg

And here's a link to the Head Loss Calculator that is mentioned above

Head Loss Calculator

DaveK

Hi all,

Im starting a plumbing system for my new 125 tank.

currently I have a 2100 Rio pushing a stated 691gph and a 2500 Rio pushing 782 gph

I dont have too much space in my stand so I want to use the smallest pvc possible.

for the 2100rio I have around 5-6 feet of piping plus 2 elbows and a ball valve.
for the 2500 rio I have around 6-7 feet of piping plus 4 elbows and a ball valve.

my question is can I use a 1" PVC for these pumps with this setup without either burning out/overworking my pumps or putting too much pressure on the pvc pipes themselves?

The 1" pipe will be fine and could handle a much larger pump.

However, I highly recommend you ditch the RIO pumps from the start. Originally I ran my 125 gal tank using 3 RIO 2500 pumps as return pumps. They just do not have the pressure or flow rate to really do the job. In addition I found them to be of low quality and they didn't last too long. This is something RIO pumps are sort of noted for. If you look at the design, you can see that they are more or less glorified power heads. This is ok in a smaller tank, but not too good for larger systems.

The obvious question is what am I using now? Currently I use an Iwaki MD55RLT pump for the return. It's an externally mounted pump, so that means it needs a lot more plumbing, and a drilled sump. Don;t lat the apparent lower total flow fool you. Iwaki pumps are rated at 4' of head, not 0 like many of the internal pumps. This model is also pressure rated, so it looses a lot less flow as you go up.

Not everyone want to get involved in external pumps. The do cost a lot more and are a lot more work to install. So if I was going to use an internal pump, I think you best value there are the MAG pumps.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Im not a fan of RIO pumps. Get a Good Danner Mag 18. I have a mag 12 going through 1" Pipe to a Split 3/4" Lock-line return on my 75. Its almost too much flow.