Purple stuff growing in my tank

Fredlee291

Hi everyone I'm new to the hobby I have a 14 gallon saltwater bio cube with a purple algae growth can anyone help me with this I don't know if it's good for my fish what should I do it is eventually going to be a reef tank

Pat24601

Hi everyone I'm new to the hobby I have a 14 gallon saltwater bio cube with a purple algae growth can anyone help me with this I don't know if it's good for my fish what should I do it is eventually going to be a reef tank

Hi!

Others here have a lot more experience than me, but it sounds like you are describing Cyanobacteria to me. A picture would help a lot. :)

If it is cyano, it's not such a big deal. Fairly common outbreak especially in newer tanks.

Basically some possible solutions include: increasing flow, small water changes, siphoning it out with your water changes. It may well go away on its own after that (mine always has) as your tank stabilizes, but you can also go lights out for a couple of days.

Not really dangerous to your fish and not really a big deal.

That is, of course, if it is cyano. Can you post a pic?

Fredlee291

Hi!

Others here have a lot more experience than me, but it sounds like you are describing Cyanobacteria to me. A picture would help a lot. :)

If it is cyano, it's not such a big deal. Fairly common outbreak especially in newer tanks.

Basically some possible solutions include: increasing flow, small water changes, siphoning it out with your water changes. It may well go away on its own after that (mine always has) as your tank stabilizes, but you can also go lights out for a couple of days.

Hi!

Yes I can thank you here it goes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37

Pat24601

Never mind what I said about cyano. I think that looks like coralline algae.

That's actually really good. People try hard to get that to grow. :)

At least, that's my take. Wait for more experienced hands to chime in and make sure I'm not missing something.

Last edited:

Fredlee291

Never mind what I said about cyano. I think that looks like coraline algae.

That's actually really good. People try hard to get that to grow. :)

At least, that's my take. Wait for more experienced hands to chime in and make sure I'm not missing something.
Thanks for the help

Squatch XXL

Did you source these rocks from different vendors? Where they "live" when you got them? It strikes me odd that it certainly looks like coraline. What is the odd part is that the left rock has the reds, versus the right rock which has the darker purples throughout. Is it a play on lights and the colors are the same?
I think that looks like coraline algae.
It sure looks great to me as well.

Fredlee291

Did you source these rocks from different vendors? Where they "live" when you got them? It strikes me odd that it certainly looks like coraline. What is the odd part is that the left rock has the reds, versus the right rock which has the darker purples throughout. Is it a play on lights and the colors are the same?

It sure looks great to me as well.
I did get the rocks from two different vendors the one on the left was live rock in the one on the right was dry rock in they are two different colors

newo11

It looks good so far. Coraline comes in lots of different colors. With some time - it will mix on all of the rocks and blend in nicely with both colors.

Coraline growth is a sign of a healthy tank. Congrats on the good start!

Fredlee291

It looks good so far. Coraline comes in lots of different colors. With some time - it will mix on all of the rocks and blend in nicely with both colors.

Coraline growth is a sign of a healthy tank. Congrats on the good start!
Thank you everyone for all your help and tips will keep you posted on updates

Snelly40

yah, its definately coraline on both, it's a naturally occuring calcium based algea that is a very desired look. It does come in all colors, purple to reds and i have some green too. keep up the good work... you may start to see some start growing on the glass, a razor blade will be your best bet to keep the glass clean, the back wall however usually will become covered and that's just the nature of the beast

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Fredlee :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

Start a tank thread & share your progress & lots of pictures with us....
Doing so will help you be more successful & it's FUN to share here.
There are never any dumb questions as we all help & learn as we go.
Make yourself at home :couch: & post any concerns about your tank.
Very BEST WISHES...:cruiser:

Fredlee291

Tha
Hello Fredlee :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

Start a tank thread & share your progress & lots of pictures with us....
Doing so will help you be more successful & it's FUN to share here.
There are never any dumb questions as we all help & learn as we go.
Make yourself at home :couch: & post any concerns about your tank.
Very BEST WISHES...:cruiser:
Thank you

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Squatch XXL

I did get the rocks from two different vendors the one on the left was live rock in the one on the right was dry rock in they are two different colors
After I understood your rockwork situation, it certainly looks great and now makes sense on the colors. You got something great going on, so keep up with whatever you are doing.

DaveK

I'm kind of jealous. It has taken me forever to grow my coralline and it's still not really grown in yet. :)

If you really really want coraline algae take a few scrapings from your existing coraline algae and spread them through out the system. It will soon spread.

However, this may be a curse. It's very difficult to remove from the glass and filter parts. Many people really desire coraline algae. Personally, I consider it another nuisance algae, just not quite as bad as some of the others.