Purple Long Tentacle Anemone

sambrinar

most people do not recommend getting any type of anemone unless your tank is well established, stable and over a year old.

BigJay

individual interests really. If you like a reef with lots of corals then its probably not the nem you want. You have to dedicate lots of space for it. I personally think any nem in any tank with other corals is a potential danger but the LTA or tube nems can be particulary dangrous because even if they settle they have quite a sting range.

new reefer 03

i have a question about getting an anemone i am looking into the RBTA, or a carpet nem. could my lightin support either of these, i have had it set up for a while. its a 55 gal with
lighting
4 double PC bulbs 65 W Each
2 actinic
2 10,oook
total of 260W

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
lol thats what my LFS said, i just wanted to double check
thanks =)

Your LFS said no? Dude that's AWESOME!! Give them a HUGE high FIVE for being honest and not selling your something they know wont work! That's RARE these days! usually the LFS is out to make a buck regardless of what the long term outcome is.

Yes that's not enough light for any anemone long term. KUDOS to you for asking ahead of time :)

lcstorc

IMO that tank is too small for 3 nems unless it is a nem dedicated tank and I still think I would only do it with one type of nem. Remember, they do split so if you start with 3 that could easily become 6 and then 12 etc.

CA Reefer

PC's really aren't sufficient for keeping Anemones as they just don't have enough PAR output to sustain these animals long term.

Carpets are a definite no-no and although a PLTA or RBTA may appear like they're adapting, they are questionable for long term survival.

With the PLTA you need to consider that these animals can have a diameter/reach of 18" when fully inflated and moving in the current. You're gonna have to dedicate a significant portion of your tank to it. They have a pretty powerful sting and will kill corals they come in contact with.

BigJay

With the PLTA you need to consider that these animals can have a diameter/reach of 18" when fully inflated and moving in the current. You're gonna have to dedicate a significant portion of your tank to it. They have a pretty powerful sting and will kill corals they come in contact with.

spot on my man.

SuperClam

OK, why is it said that carpets can't be kept under pcs. I kept a carpet for 2yrs under pcs and it grew to about a 14 inch diameter. Thus why I no longer have it, I had to sell it. I admit it was given fresh shrimp or cod every couple of days. The point is I have noticed on the site it is like you can't do something out of the norm. You have to have MH to do anything and be successful. I don't believe that in a million years. Would I do SPS under pcs, no, but I have success with anemones and clams, which supposedly can't be accomadated under pcs. Look, if you have high quality pcs, and your tank is shallow enough, I say you can keep a anemone.

CA Reefer

I understand your point, many people have had some success keeping these animals with PC's but your caveats are extremely important ones "if the water is shallow enough"... It is possible that PC's could sustain these animals because the intensity of light is not dropping off considerably by the depth of the water. By "good lights" I'm assuming that you are referring to appropriate spectrum etc?

While PC's can provide equivalent of watts per gallon for many tanks they offer considerably less PAR. It's also worth noting that PAR also varies considerably with the Kelvin of bulbs. Bulbs which omit largely actinic light will provide significantly lower PAR than it's 10K counterpart.

I found a really good article which compares the PAR output between PC, VHO & MH. Dana Riddle PAR

You obviously understand the limitations of PC lighting and have had success in keeping some of the more light hungry specimens through the use of shallower tanks. Where the issue occurs is that people believe that because they have 4-5 wpg on their lighting, that it will be sufficient to sustain a carpet or equivalent at a depth of 24" +.

chriswho

Not to steal this thread or anything, but I have a friend who has a carpet, a bubble a condy and a BTA all kept in a 55 gal. with the same lights as this guy, and the same lights as me, but I was unable to keep even 1 BTA. How is he getting away with it?!

seatrueblue

:threadjack: You want to put two purple LTAs in a 75? I don't know if its true but a lot of people have told me that large pltas don't handle shipping well. So I started out with a small one and I'm glad I did. From day one its been healthy. Where are you going to get yours? If you don't know where..I reccommend bluezooaquatics.com that is where the beauty in the picture came from:D
Picture2031054.jpg

Here is its baby picture ..this was taken a year ago.
Picture236.jpg

Since then it has made a meal out of my fighting conch in june and my pink skunk clown last august. (it wasn't the ltas fault though..the pink skunk shouldn't have used the ltas mouth for a hiding spot.)