Purple Goniapora (flowerpot) ISSUES

Jackalope

There's a LFS about 60 miles from here that has GREAT success with them. He's got them in a 150g system and he feeds 2x a day enough to feed one of my tanks... YEARS! It's shocking how much "Liquid" food he uses every day. The trick is HEAVY water changes and he's running TWO huge skimmers on that tank. Each one rated at 300g. All the other coral (all are LPS and softies) are doing GREAT because of the heavy feeding. I'm serious when I say for about 20 minutes his water is GREEN and CLOUDY right after feeding.

dang... ok perhaps i should see if i can get this guy back up to par and sell him back to LFS. the owner and i go back a ways. and since i drive 1.5 hours to shop his place he is really good to me. i'll now have to explain this to the wife.. or let her read it would be better. Thanks Al

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
As has been mentioned these corals depend on regular target feeding to survive long term and it must be zooplankton not phyto. I would look for frozen cyclop-eeze or DT's Oyster eggs to see if it'll come back.

Jackalope

As has been mentioned these corals depend on regular target feeding to survive long term and it must be zooplankton not phyto. I would look for frozen cyclop-eeze or DT's Oyster eggs to see if it'll come back.

well POOP... i just came back from LFS... ug 3 hour drives....

thanks for the info cheeks

tektite

One problem that's probably not helping is having no nitrates/phosphates honestly. It may also just be that particular coral, they're so finicky. I have several goniopora in my macro tank with nitrates ~20-50 and phosphates usually around 0.2-0.3. One, a green one, had shown some recession but that has stopped lately. The purple one and the red ORA one are always out, and have shown growth, especially the red one. I feed large mysis for my copperband only, no filter feeder food. I have debated lately trying and seeing if they grew faster with that though. I fed a bunch of cyclopeeze tonight, at least my gorgonians liked it :)

Here they are:

IMG_9660-1.jpg

IMG_9653-1.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

Jackalope

WoW! very nice. im going to see if.... ug, PetSmart (hate the place) here has anything on that type of food or its another trek to San Antonio for me. i doubt they have any but its in my path to lowes heheh.

Very nice specimens you have there Tek!
Thanks for the reply

Jackalope

update: ive been feeding this guy lightly 3 times a day in its temp. holding spot in my DT for 2 days now. unfortunately all i have atm is phyto and amasingly its taking it and im getting more polyps coming out and they come out farther. feeling good now about this thing. though now i have to figure when it gets better where/what to do with it since i dont want a tupperware in my tank lol.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
unfortunately all i have atm is phyto and amasingly its taking it and im getting more polyps coming out and they come out farther.

The phyto is triggering a feeding response this doesn't mean it's benefiting or eating, Zooplankton is what will save this coral if it's not already too late.