purple coraline growth issues & supplements, purple up & purple tech?????

so my last tank coraline was not an issue and the rocks were smothered , i moved to a new place and set up a 75 with the same rock, now most all of my coraline is gone. i did change my lighting to all t5 from previous 250 mh.. now after two years of no coraline on my rocks and landfills of it on the glass im wondering what can i do to get it on the rock.
my good friend owns a lfs and says he uses purple up. he went from no purple to massive amounts in the last month to two months. so now im wondering should i try it or not.
my parameters are as follows" cal-440, alk 9, mag 1300, nitr, nitri, amon, and phos at 0... i have 8 54watt t5s on a 75. rock is about 6 years old and i have had it in 3 tanks now its just not doing much besides sitting there looking bare
:winner: :winner: :confused:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm always going to say NOT! It's snake-oil in a bottle.

If you wanted it to spread you can scrape some of the existing so that it releases some particles into the tank and in a short period of time you'll say "That dang coraline is driving me crazy!" Just be careful what you ask for LOL!

Apparently water quality isn't as important as people say. I have coralline everywhere. (I mean EVERYWHERE) and the places it isn't purple its full of hair algae and green algae. I scraped a little off and now its gone insane everywhere :(

I tried calcium supplements and "snake oil" products but gave up with that. All it needs is light and water (at least in my case haha)

Reddog170

Yep once coraline takes hold its all over. I have had to in the past even scraped from inside powerheads.

smkndrgn142

I've been having this same problem. my tank used to be covered in purple, I loved it...okay cleaning the glass was a pain in the ass, but it looked good. Then I moved and everything got put in a new tank and it all seems to be dying off. there are still some spots of purple, but they seem to be receding rather than growing. Guess I'll try to scrape some off and see if that works.

well the only reason im complaining is that its been 2 years since the move. last time the tank was up and running maybe 6 months. i have so much on the glass that it dulled 2 of my easy scraper blades getting it off. the back is completely cover and im just wondering why the rocks arent covering like before. my water quality is consistan and i have never had nusiance algae that i can remeber, i run gfo and carbon. last time i wasnt running anything even a skimmer for a that matter and had a 250 mh on a 40 breeder. just seems now there is no purple. its a small complaint considering my tanks are doing better than ever and most of my stuff is growing fairly good. my only problem is my dying toadstool but as with anything stuff happens and we go on. my 40 breeder is less than 3 months old and is completely covered , except for rock, and took me about 15 minutes with the eazy scraper to get all the coraline off.

DBrinson

What kind of glass aquarium do you have? Not all glass is the same.

Some glass may be more porous on the surface than other kinds thus attracting more encrusting coralline algae.