purple algae

i see some reef tanks with lots of coraline algae and i see some reef tanks with none i was wondering what is the best way to promote purple algae

charlesr1958

Having the proper species of coraline algae per your system's lights and simply maintain NSW levels of calcium, alkalinity, pH and magnesium. Usually any live rock added to our tanks has a number of coraline species already on it and those species that your system favors will become dominant. If you do not have any coraline algae to start with, simply find a system that has similar lighting intensity and scrape some of theirs off of the glass and sprinkle it into your tank.

Chuck

im used to doing fish only systems in addition to testing nitrates nitrites ammonia ph alkalinity and calcium what else should i be testing

lcstorc

Add magnesium to the list.
As far as the corraline, it will come when it comes and soon you will want it to go away. :) It covers everything.
Do not try Purple Up.
It has messed up the chemistry of many tanks.
Just keep your water levels good and it just takes a bit of time.

miaskies

The best way to seed your tank with that pretty purple algae is to get some nice, uncured fiji rock. Check out some local pet shops( if there are any in your area) ask when they are getting their next shipment, and get it when it's fresh( not after it has been dying in a dimly lit tank for weeks)The reason you see some peoples tanks looking dead and bare is because someone sold them some dead or "cured" rock. I prefer my rock uncured and full of purple algae and life, otherwise it is just not worth it to pay by the pound for some dead crap.

lcstorc

Don't add uncured rock to an established system or you will force a cycle.
Most rock if it was once live will have corraline spores in it. Even if allowed to dry it will come back. Also anytime you add coral there is likely corraline spores in the rock the coral is attached to.
Corraline is not the life we are looking for when we buy LR. What we want is the denitrifying bacteria deep within the rock.
Cured rock is not dead. It has simply had time and conditions to remove the die off so it is less likely to cause a cycle.

Reef97

I have found that very low phosphate levels are needed for strong corraline growth. I do a 10% water change (about 8 gallons) ever week so my Mg levels are good and my Ca levels are a steady 410ppm. Once I added my refugium and got Phospates below .5 the corraline exploded!!

Good Luck!

charlesr1958

Exactly, I remember reading a recent study that showed phosphates having a huge impact on not only coraline growth, but also corals, even some algae species are growth limited with excessive phosphate levels.

Chuck

miaskies

actually I added about 70 lbs of uncured, beautiful purple rock to my established tank b-4 with no rise in ammonia, nitrite or bad algae bloom. my guess is that the store i bought it from immediately put it in a well lit tank and took care of it, so the rock was all live. You will find everyone has different opinions on the subject. I think someone wrote a book saying you have to "cure" rock and now everyone thinks this is what you must do. Personally, if the rock looks bare and does'nt have any creatures or purple algae doing well on it, it is not worth purchasing,(by the pound) in my opinion. Actually, good live rock makes your tank really healthy.
Personally, I think it is a shame that people rip apart the coral reefs, let it sit out dry, ship it dry, and then a lot of pet stores let it sit around or they put it in a dimly lit tank, which is not good for the live rock, killing off the life even further. I believe good wholesalers store their rock in water prior to shipping, and a good pet store will keep the live rock in a well lit tank. Just my observation.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
actually I added about 70 lbs of uncured, beautiful purple rock to my established tank b-4 with no rise in ammonia, nitrite or bad algae bloom.
You got lucky and are one of the exceptions.

You will find everyone has different opinions on the subject.
Which is a GREAT part of this hobby :) There is usually more than one "Right" way to do most things.

I think someone wrote a book saying you have to "cure" rock and now everyone thinks this is what you must do.
I'm gonna have to hit the BS-o-meter on that one. Un-cured Live rock WILL indeed set off a cycle in your tank if there is a good amount of die-off. This wasn't just some "Myth" from a fantasy book. Die-off can start a cycle. The health of the existing biological filtration system as well as the current bio-load will mandate the degree of a cycle. I can assure you that if you add a large amount of un-cured Live Rock to an existing system and it ( for whatever reason) has a good amount of die-off you will see a cycle and you may see a HARSH cycle. Why risk it? It's not "myth" it's reality.

I'll grant you that places where the Live Rock is properly cared for (from harvesting to shipping to LFS to your house) there could be minimal die-off but for the most part if you buy Un-Cured Live Rock you're just gambling with your tank and the odds really aren't in your favor. I wouldn't got to VEGAS with those kind of odds against me (I'm not a gamble either way).

Just remember when you're giving out advice that it's different for everyone and the person taking the advice could be a LONG way from a good LFS and their Live Rock may not have been that WELL harvested, stored or shipped. I live WAY "out of civilization" and we have a tough time getting GOOD Live Rock. Next Day shipping to us is 2 days.

Reef97

Very well said BigAl07. It all depends on the rock and where you get it. I live right near the east cost of Florida and when I order rock from the Keys "Caribean Live Rock" it gets to my house from the ocean in less than 3 days. When I open the box it smells like sweet ocean!! I still put it in a QT for a day with heavy circulation to blow the organics out but after that it goes right into my tank.

If it smells bad, you better cure the rock before you put it in tank.

lcstorc

Purple does not equate life. It is just one type of algae that happens to look pretty.
I will take LR with real de-nitrifying bacteria over corraline covered rock any day.
It doesn't have to be purple to be live.
Now the dry rock etc is absolutely correct. It needs to be kept in the water or at least wet.