HELP! Pumps!

Stephane Cote

Hello everyone,

just a little bit of background to help out... A month ago i was doing my water change in the aquarium and when i was touching the light (metal) and put my hand in the water.. i got zapped. after investigating i found taht one of the circulation pumps was causing it. i removed it, and put up my spare in the meantime to get another one.

this weekend, doing my water change.. ZAPP again. this time another one of the originals (1year and some old) pumps decided to short. So now, im working on 2 pumps (mind you a big one and a medium one) and im urgently trying to replace them.

When i purchased them the sales rep mis calculated and i ended up with not enough flow. so now, is my chance to correct this

2 questions.

1- How much Flow per gal do i need for a 75gal tank (4 feet wide)
2- I was recommended the Jebao series (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSALYTS/?tag=reefsanc-20)

im not sure what you all have for feedback, but i would need to know if these are worth it, and if so, which ones and how many.

one the .ca amazon (WP-25) they say state that the it does 800gph-2000gph. any advice would be great

thanks

saltykid96

I have 2 of the newer jebao rw8's that I used in my 75 which was mostly fish with a couple softies and it was plenty of flow with the return pump helping to mix it up. Now I have the new maxspect xf150 which is absolutely great. I also have the jebao 15,000dc return pump and it performs flawlessly. So overall I would highly recommend jebao products especially if your looking for a good product for a very good price:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

saltykid96

I forgot to mention the rw8's are actually in a 150 tall with a eel and puffer now and the maxspect is in a 125 reef while the 75 is the sump now

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi saltykid96

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Would love to see your eel and puffer !

DaveK

You can't easily predict how much folw you'll want. It's very dependent upon the LR positions and amount, and the livestock you want to keep. Some love as much flow as they can get, others like things calmer.

Once you get into the world of controllable pumps, you'll find a lot of variations in price and function. This is because some of the higher end units cab do a lot of neat tricks, especially with creating random flow patterns.

At the high end the EcoTech MPwQD and the Tunze Stream 2 both are excellent and very expensive.

In the next tier down I'd out the Jebao your looking at, and JBL. Beyond that it's a mixed bag, and you'll really need to do your research on these devices first. There is a lot of junk out there on the low end.

saltykid96

I completely agree especially with the part of the of the Ecotech being the best. I looked at these for probably a month before I finally decided it just wasn't worth that much money. Although it lacks the amazing control and linkabiluty to an apex the new maxspect xf150 and xf150 are truly amazing. The way they get the cool gyre going throughout the entire tank is so cool 2 see. Just my 2 cents

Coraljunkie

I'd stay away from jebao rw series. I know some people have had good luck and I thought I did too until one stopped working and the other ramps down on its own and they're only around 6 months old... I'd invest in the new mp40s. If it's too much flow you can always dial them down

saltykid96

In the end pumps are pumps. They are meant to move water and that's it some are dirt cheap and will fall part. Some are basic and will last forever. Some are off brand and may be good or bad and are making a name for themselves and some are amazing but you might have to take out a second mortgage to buy them. In the end I would focus more on your water and lighting that makes the coral beautiful

Stephane Cote

Thank you very much all for the input. that's exactly what i need. Here is a picture of the tank from april. (yes... i STILL have brown sand after a year and a half :()

i have corals on reach side and the middle is separated (to prevent the xenias and GSP from taking over everything) The middles rocks are stabilized on the back glass with some room for flow. I have 3 pumps on the right that points towards the GSP (kinda weak). one in the back left that directs towards the midldle to deflect back on the xenias and one in front right that shoots a little bit on the middle LR. towards the left pump. i dont have alot of room for my LR to be honest lol

I'ts not ideal as i think i was undersold pumps i find the GPS is ok with flow but the 2 others i find dont have the push. my xenias barely move. well that is before i had 2 fails on those. and need to replace.

I think my best bet is the Jeboa W-40 as i can play with the flow. and set it how i feel is best for my tank.

IMG_1962_zpsmbgekjzv.jpg

DaveK

In the end pumps are pumps. They are meant to move water and that's it some are dirt cheap and will fall part. Some are basic and will last forever. Some are off brand and may be good or bad and are making a name for themselves and some are amazing but you might have to take out a second mortgage to buy them. In the end I would focus more on your water and lighting that makes the coral beautiful

I've got to partly disagree here. Your main pump is the heart of your system. It's one item you never ever want to have fail, because if it does, you can easily loose the entire system. Even if you catch it right away, you might not be able to quickly get a replacement. If you don't have the filtration system and other water flow systems decent, you can just about forget about everything else.

Always use a top quality pump for you main return pump. Yes, some of them can be expensive, and just spending a lot of money doesn't always mean you got a quality pump.

saltykid96

I've got to partly disagree here. Your main pump is the heart of your system. It's one item you never ever want to have fail, because if it does, you can easily loose the entire system. Even if you catch it right away, you might not be able to quickly get a replacement. If you don't have the filtration system and other water flow systems decent, you can just about forget about everything else.

Always use a top quality pump for you main return pump. Yes, some of them can be expensive, and just spending a lot of money doesn't always mean you got a quality pump.
The only problem with that was I was talking about circulation pumps in the aquarium not a return pump. I'm all for an expensive and oversized return pump. Lol

Stephane Cote

Nice tank btw

thanks! the only issue i have with it is every time i do a water change WITH salt, it gets more brown sand. i really dont get it. when i just put reg water to bring down the sal the brown sand stays where it's at.

i've ordered the WP25s with twin controle. everything i read online they said they had to tone those down for 90 gals so im sure they will be ok for my 75. Ill keep the last small pump i have left (and remove the spare) and make ti circulate behind the LR in the middle.

then the 2 others ill have to figure out. once all setup ill take an updated snap shot :)

DaveK

thanks! the only issue i have with it is every time i do a water change WITH salt, it gets more brown sand. i really dont get it. when i just put reg water to bring down the sal the brown sand stays where it's at....

Are you using tap water or RO (not RO/DI) water to mix your salt? Those could be a source for silica and be causing diatom outbreaks. RO by itself is not good at removing silica.

Stephane Cote

i have a 5 stage BRS RO/DI. im confused because if i just topoff witha bucket of RO'ed water i dont have the burst of brownish stuff. yet, i put in a fresh batch of the same water but salted and a few days i see it more brown.

i also got a reactor to remove phosphate AND silica but honestly i dont think it's my problem. the only thing im really thinking is that my rocks/substrate are still leeching

i really really cant figure out why.