Pumps for refugiam

kragon

I have every thing set for my refugiam, the tubing and adapter bought weird tubing for the pumps, overflow box and glass diveders that still need to be cut, ill wait until the overflow box come till i do that, so my question is what sort of pump should i do it can either have a half diameter to an inch diameter i am looking for something that will do the job with out over kill. the refugi is a 29 gallon above my sump since there was no other place to put it.Any ideas

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Can you just re-route some of your Over Flow water into the Fuge and then let GRAVITY feed it into the sump? The fewer pumps the better.

kragon

my plan is that is to use one pump to push the water into the refugiam than when it goes to the overflow box hook up tubing to it and let gravity do all the work so i will only have one pump in the whole system is that okay or not.

Jeremy0322

DSCN0956.jpg

lcstorc

That's basically what Al was saying. May a T off of your overflow pipe so some of the water from your overflow goes to the fuge and some to the sump. Then use the overflow to move the water from your fuge to your sump. I'm not sure you would need a pump unless you need one for the external overflos at all other than your return pump which is already in the sump.
I have no pumps at all in my fuge other than a maxijet for circulation. None for the transfer of water.

kragon

alright ill work on that idea but ill try my idea with only one pump and hope it works if not then to the t

lcstorc

Make sure your plan accommodates a potential power outage.
At some point you will have one either short or long term.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think you want ALL of your display tanks water to travel through your Fuge. Generally speaking a Fuge is a slower flow than a DT is.

I have my Mag18 (1800gph) feeding water from my Fuge up into the Display tank. Then I have the water spilling into the over-flow and that line is split so that the majority goes into the sump but there is a small "T" that splits off putting about 1/10th of that water into the Fuge. Then the fuge has a bulkhead that gravity feeds back into the sump.

I have it set to where when the power goes out and everything back-flows there is still enough room in the Sump to handle that amount of water.

It's REALLY simple and almost idiot proof.