Pump plumbing questions.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey guys.. I've got a situation... I'm am running my dt return up one story from the basement... needless to say it is struggling.. especially with the stupid checkvalve..
I have a spare 1200 I'd like to put in line if you think that will work... my logic says it should be fine as long as the flow is less than 1200 when it hits the 1200.. idk tho.. I've been wrong before.... heres a sketch if I'm not making sense....

IMG_20120118_115041.jpg

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
not going to help, you can't compress water, a mag 1200 at 14' will only give you about 100gph then remove pipe friction,turns and wear youe be lucky to get 75, you need a pressure rated pump like little giant

Built347

So your saying the proper equations is each pump rated individually ....

1200@12'=100gph......2400@12'=800......800+100=900.... is that what you mean?

Built347

I figured the 1200 with 800gph input would help some... I've never tried anything like this..

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to Sas (I seem to say that often enough LOL).

Pushing water like that will require a pump designed for head like that. Mags do good for their intended build but not to that extreme.

Built347

S O A Bit$#..I don't want to buy another pump....
Little giant? Is that a good one?.. any other suggestions.. I need 1200 at the tank..

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ditto to Sas (I seem to say that often enough LOL).

Pushing water like that will require a pump designed for head like that. Mags do good for their intended build but not to that extreme.

never often enough haha but certainly noted!
the big pump delivers x amount of water to the small pump, the inflow to the small pump will reduce the effectiveness of the volute somewhat like cavitation or spinning your wheels

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
never often enough haha but certainly noted!
the big pump delivers x amount of water to the small pump, the inflow to the small pump will reduce the effectiveness of the volute somewhat like cavitation or spinning your wheels

Exactly. Even IF you could match the dynamics to make it happen at first wear, tear, snails, slime etc would enter into the equation and you're just see performance go down hill (literally).

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
S O A Bit$#..I don't want to buy another pump....
Little giant? Is that a good one?.. any other suggestions.. I need 1200 at the tank..

expensive to buy and operate, stand up well if oiled every 3 or 4 months, sure you can do better.
Why in the name of all thats silly do you need so much gph?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Why in the name of all thats silly do you need so much gph?

Just a hint but it's usually easier, cheaper and more efficient to get "flow" in your DT with powerheads instead of trying to cycle the tank through your sump 8000000x an hour :)

Built347

I was told at one point that I need to turn over the tank 10 times an hour.. so all of my tanks turn 10 times an hour... except the reef.. which is now 7 an hour... is this false?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Devon I'm what some may call a "Flow Hoe" as in I can't get enough FLOW... but you don't want all of your flow to be through your return system for some of the reasons I stated above. Also if something were to happen and you lose your return pump you'd be left with No Flow in your main tank. Spread the love around :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh and IMHO 10x is the MIN for a Salt Water tank and when you add coral that amount goes up depending on what coral you have.

dmatt88

Any way to use flex hose for less head loss or 45° elbows? Your current pump may b adequate.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Built347

first thing i'd do is get rid of all the 90 degree elbows in your system

That is on the docket.... need to finish some other things first tho....

I thought I needed 10x per hour strictly from the return... I've got 2 1050s and a 750 in the tank...

Built347

Any way to use flex hose for less head loss or 45° elbows? Your current pump may b adequate.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

Should I do flex hose?.. I was planning on double 45's

Built347

flex hose is the absolutely least restrictive path of water flow you can get.

Flex hose it is... ill pick some up from the store on my way home tonight....

Back on the pump subject... if I'm running 800gph now and the powerheads am I good with this pump?. I always thought I needed 10x per hour from the sump.. not just overall tank flow....

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
ok, sump flow is only as required for temperature control,skimmer feed etc, if they are located in the sump, so... if your skimmer is the most needful of turnover a simple direct feed from the overflow eliminates a lot of gph, the turn over rates are like a lot of other information for reefing OUTDATED AND MISINTERPRETED nobody made powerheads with that kind of flow back when these guidelines were created